L\'Boho Chic Logo
L\'Boho Chic Logo
Caleigh Ellison
Style

Meet The Artisan of L’Boho Chic: Caleigh Ellison

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

There is something absolutely magical about having a handcrafted piece of artwork in your closet. Whether it’s something small, something large, or something completely unique; that piece of art is yours and yours alone. And as an obsessed fan of the hippy-slash-bohemian art business L’Boho Chic, I would know. Every single piece created by owner and artist Caleigh (Cal) Ellison is unique, which means that no two customers can purchase the same piece. How cool is that? Cal’s following has soared as people have fallen in love with her work, just as I have fallen in love with it myself. 

Cal and I sat down to talk all things business, including what fuels her to create art pieces every single day with a smile on her face.

HCuOttawa: If someone has never met you before, what are three words you’d use to describe yourself? 

Cal: Orange, creative, and adventurous.

HCuOttawa: I know you’re a book person like me; do you have a favourite book or book series?

Cal: The A Court of Thorns and Roses series, and the From Blood and Ash series.

HCuOttawa: Can you tell us a little bit about the L’Boho Chic brand? 

Cal: I started at 14, printing on shirts and denim products. I had this passion to create art… my mom has French roots so L’Boho translated to “The Boho Girl.” 

HCuOttawa: What inspired you to start your business? 

Cal: I wanted to do a job that I truly loved; the saying about being rich and unhappy versus broke but happy really stuck with me when I started my business. 

HCuOttawa: If you could describe your small business with three words, which three would you use? 

Cal: Bohemian, funky, and original.

HCuOttawa: What is it like to balance a small business with your family and personal life? 

Cal: It was difficult in the beginning; I had to set my boundaries because the lines started to get blurred between work life and family life. 

HCuOttawa: Is there a piece of advice you’d give people about balancing personal life and business life? 

Cal: Take time for yourself, [and] don’t forget to love, create, and travel. The most important thing is to remember yourself and remember where [your] passion started. 

HCuOttawa: What has been the biggest challenge you’ve faced since starting your business? 

Cal: I have felt imposter syndrome, worrying that people won’t like what I create, [that] they won’t buy it, or even see it. I had to learn to not take it personally. 

HCuOttawa: Have there been moments that have made it all worth it? 

Cal: My first launch, [I was] super nervous, [but then] we sold out in two minutes! I was able to see what I wanted to do and be able to live that life where I got to create pieces for people to love.

HCuOttawa: Do you have any advice for people who want to start a small business? 

Cal: Find your passion! Pursue what sets your soul on fire! 

HCuOttawa: If you could chose one piece from the L’Boho Chic collection that every single person should have, which piece would it be? 

Cal: Everyone needs a hat! My favourites have been the hats with fox designs on them. And you can never go wrong with the “Living your passion” sticker!

HCuOttawa: Going forward, are there any other local businesses you’d like to collaborate with?

Cal: Folkish Creations! I definitely want to do a bookish collab with her!

HCuOttawa: Do you have any favourite small or local businesses that you love to shop at? 

Cal: Some of my favourites are: 

HCuOttawa: If there is one thing you could tell your past self about life, love, business… anything! — what would it be? 

Cal: That I would make it, [that] we will make it. [And to not] stress about it, because [I would] be happy!

So, are you as obsessed with Cal and her amazing work as I am? Check out her Instagram and visist her website to learn more or to purchase pieces from L’Boho Chic.

Just your average criminology major, who enjoys watching Supernatural, The Boys and occasionally catching a hockey game. Probably off somewhere writing a novel!