This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Who else loves creative and unique pieces of jewelry, pens, and clothing? We do! I’m super pumped to be able to share this amazing interview that I recently did with one of my really cool friends, Kyla, one of the creator’s from the small business ChanelBlu!

We dove into topics about inspiration, balancing both life and work, some of her favourite places to shop, all about her brand, and as always pieces of advice for life, work, and personal life! 

Their brand statement: There is beauty in this duo living life uninhibited. There is no safety for the exposed, no PR team cleaning up any messes, and nowhere left to hide from the world. Because there are risks when you put yourself out there, and we are choosing to accept those risks to live an authentic life, doing and sharing what we love most, with those we love the most.

It’s time to meet the Artisan! 

HCuOttawa: If someone has never met you before, what are three words you’d use to describe yourself? 

Kyla: Grit, determined, and easy going! 

HCuOttawa: Can you tell us a little bit about the brand ChanelBlu? 

Kyla: The brand itself is a self-expression of trauma. 

HCuOttawa: What inspired you to start ChanelBlu? 

Kyla: Being on the road with my family & getting bored which led me to do jewelry 

HCuOttawa: How was ChanelBlu created/started?

Kyla: It was created while I was on the road, traveling and selling at local markets in the cities we stopped in. Eventually when we settled back home, I stopped doing it for a little while and picked it back up again. The name comes from my name and my brother’s name. 

HCuOttawa: If you could describe your small business with three words, which three would you use? 

Kyla: Therapeutic, accepting & acknowledging. 

HCuOttawa: What is it like balancing a small business & family/personal life? 

Kyla: It’s probably the hardest thing to do, especially in the RV while we were traveling. Being a mom and business owner is a major balancing act. 

HCuOttawa: Is there a piece of advice you’d give people about balancing personal life and business life? 

Kyla: Don’t go small, jump all in and focus on one thing. When you jump, do it with no regrets!

HCuOttawa: Has there been anything that you’ve found the most challenging since starting ChanelBlu? 

Kyla: It’s hard to stay authentic and true to who you are. When people were telling me my brand was one thing and I didn’t really see it that way, that was a big challenge for me. 

HCuOttawa: Do you have any advice for people who want to start small businesses? 

Kyla: Just do it! Do what you love and what you want. 

HCuOttawa: If you could chose only one piece from the ChanelBlu collection, that every single person needs to have, which piece would you pick? 

Kyla: The Medusa shirt. The symbol of Medusa represents trauma, and it helps acknowledge that you don’t have to let it control you. 

HCuOttawa: Going forward into the future with ChanelBlu, are there any other local businesses or people you’d love to collaborate with?

Kyla: L’Bohochic obviously! Cal’s work is incredible, I’d love to collaborate on hats and stickers maybe! Also Indigo Dreamz Apothecary is another business I’d love to collaborate with on candles maybe! 

HCuOttawa: Do you have any favourite small or local businesses that you love to shop at? 

Kyla: I love The Nat, it’s a antique mall near me that is filled with local vendors and artists all the time. Some of my top favourites are: 

HCuOttawa: If there is one thing you could tell your past self about life, love, business, anything; what would it be? 

Kyla: Go to therapy earlier, say no to things to make more time for myself and my life. 

Obsessed with ChanelBlu like me? Check out the ChanelBlu Instagram HERE! If you’re inspired and want to rock your own ChanelBlu pieces, check out their website HERE!

Just your average criminology major, who enjoys watching Supernatural, The Boys and occasionally catching a hockey game. Probably off somewhere writing a novel!