clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Meet the HCuO Team: Shannon Charbonneau

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Name: Shannon Charbonneau

Program and Year: Digital Journalism, 4th Year

Hometown: Calabogie, Ontario

Position: Vice-President of HCuO

Her Campus uOttawa: What led you to choose to study at the University of Ottawa?
Shannon Charbonneau: 
I started my University studies at Brock University in St. Catharines with a focus in Popular Culture. After two amazing years there, I realized I just wasn’t getting the most out of my education. I’ve always wanted to study Journalism and when uOttawa introduced the new Digital Journalism program, I thought it would be a perfect fit for me. Plus, it would be much closer to my family. Home-cooked meals and shopping dates with Mom, am I right?

HCuO: What is your favorite class taken at uOttawa so far?
SC:
 Journalism Ethics with Jozsef Orosz. Anyone who has been lucky enough to take a class with him will understand exactly what I mean.

HCuO: What drew you to Her Campus uOttawa?
SC: I knew I needed to get involved on campus to try and meet some new friends because it’s not very easy switching schools in third year. I saw a tweet that HCuO was accepting new recruits, and figured I had nothing to lose. It seemed like a great way to get some experience and enhance my writing skills. Little did I know, it would connect me with some of the brightest, sweetest gals in Ottawa. I worked on both the Writing team and the Marketing and Communications team last year, and then stayed on the M&C team this year.

HCuO: What is your favourite memory since being involved with HCuO?
SC:
 The first team social event I attended last year was a bonding night at The Loft (board game lounge). I was super nervous because I didn’t know anyone, but the team was so accepting. I remember laughing all night and was so happy I decided to join.

HCuO: What is the best piece of advice that you ever received?
SC:
Before first year, a family friend told me to take advantage of the small amounts of time I have during the day in between classes and other commitments. I didn’t really understand what he meant then, but now in my fourth year, I realize how valuable time is and how much I can get done if I just set my mind to it. Eventually, those small intervals will add up to big accomplishments if you work hard enough.

HCuO: What would be your dream job?
SC
: I never really know the answer to this question. I would love to work for a huge media company, but I’m not sure the specific job I would want to be doing. I know I love social media and the direction that technology is taking us in so I definitely want to be part of that. 

HCuO: What short term goals do you have for life after university?
SC
: I would love to secure a job in communications right after graduation. I know that’s a big hope in such a tough job market, but it’s amazing what you can do if you greet each day with a smile. I would also love to explore different countries after graduation (everyone on Instagram is making me catch the travel bug).

HCuO: Where would you like to travel?
SC:
 I have been given opportunities to travel around Canada, down south for vacations, as well as to a few countries in Europe, and many places in the US. Next on my list would definitely be Australia and the surrounding countries. It just looks so gorgeous! 

HCuO: Who is your role model, and why?
SC:
Kate Beirness. She is so knowledgeable about sports and has such a fun, confident personality. I’d love to get into sports media someday. 

Sources: Pictures were provided by Shannon Charbonneau. 

SaveSave

Gloria Charles-Pierre is Her Campus uOttawa Alumni. She was one of our writers for four years and the French editor for two years. Gloria graduated from the University of Ottawa with a degree in Arts specialized in French Lierature and two certificates in LSQ (Langue des Signes Québécoise). Now, she is in Teachers College and loving it. Gloria spends her time doing kick-boxing and working on her personnal writing project while growing in her faith. She hopes to travel more, and to continue her studies with a Masters in Education and also continue working in editing.