Meet the HCuO Team: Jesse Lesniowski

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Name: Jesse Lesniowski

Program and Year: 3rd year Environmental Science

Hometown: Rockland, Ontario

Position:  Collegiette Life Editor

Her Campus uOttawa:  Why was the University of Ottawa the best fit for you?
Jesse Lesniowski:
At the time while I was applying to universities, I had a few health problems that limited me to staying in Ottawa and at home during my education. The University of Ottawa wasn’t really a fall back-plan, though. I generally was interested in the EVS program here and researched endlessly to compare it to other universities. In the end, I was able to happily invest my education in a good program all while being close to the ones I love and the city that I grew up in.

HCuO: What drew you to Her Campus uOttawa?
JL:
Back in first year, I found myself really missing the writing aspect of my life. I went to an arts high school, which specialized in various forms of artistic learning that you had to audition for to be accepted. I ended up getting in for creative writing or literary arts. Needless to say, writing every single day of your life for your whole high school education not only helps you develop great skills, but also gives you a craving for writing. After I took a victory lap to get more necessary credits, I found myself no longer writing. It was a friend who was in the HC marketing team who actually told me about Her Campus uOttawa and that I’d actually be able to write for this magazine. Naturally, I was so excited and contacted the campus correspondent right away. The rest is history!

HCuO: Do you have a favourite article that you’ve written for HCuO?
JL:
My favourite article would have to be one I wrote last year around this time. If you don’t know this about me, I have a lot of scars from surgeries due to a car accident. This article explains my struggles with body-image issues due to this event, but also is probably one of my main promotions of body positivity. It’s called “How to Love your Scars” and I’ve never been more proud of something I’ve written for Her Campus!

HCuO: What are some personal goals you have for yourself this year?
JL:
I think that my personal goals would consist of budgeting, getting back to the gym, and working up my cardio. I make sure that I constantly have small goals throughout each week to always make myself feel accomplished, even during the dreary days of exams and midterms season. It really does help! I also really want to create an archive of recipes and cool dishes to make.

HCuO: How are you involved, other than HCuO, on campus?
JL:
I’m on and off involved with the Science Student Association of uOttawa. Last year, I was the EVS Representative and on the general council. I’m also president of the Environmental Association of uOttawa (EVSA), which is a club I founded last year. I’m still learning the ropes on how to run a whole association, but I’m definitely not doing it by myself. I have some amazing friends in my program who have agreed to step onto the executive council and help me make the most of it! I’m also about to work in a lab via UROP (undergraduate research opportunity program) with one of my favourite professors, so I’m really excited to have that experience!

HCuO: Where do you like to spend time when you’re not in class?
JL:
Currently, I’m living at home, which is about an hour or so commute from campus. Until I move out, I’m confined to dragging myself back to Rockland but it doesn’t stop me from doing things I find fun. I enjoy playing video games (I probably invest way more time in them than I should…), write in my bullet journal, write articles for Her Campus, and spend time with family and boyfriend. I’m actually addicted to the games League of Legends, Pokémon, and Overwatch. It’s kind of really a problem but I could be addicted to worse things, right?

HCuO: What has been the best memory of being a member of HCuO so far?
JL:  
This is a really hard question. I have so many great memories with HC. I’d say the one that sticks out most would be the social event that we had at The Loft last year. Even though I wasn’t necessarily new to HC then, I came into the picture early in 2015 after Capital Catwalk. I was able to formally meet everyone at this social event and was really able to form some great relationships. Being a part of something so much bigger than yourself as this connective web of writing and creativity is a major reward in itself. I’m able to work with so many amazing women and read beautiful opinions. It’s kind of weird being the only guy in HC uOttawa, but at the same time I feel I have a specific niche that I wouldn’t give up for the world.

HCuO: Where do you see yourself in 15 years?
JL:
I honestly have no idea. I have this vague idea of who I want to be and what I want to do, but I’m really open to where I’ll end up. I hope to see myself close to my family and loved ones, but also able to travel and experience new things. Honestly, leaving university and the associations that I’m so dedicated to is a scary thought, but I know that more opportunities are waiting for me beyond the graduation date. I hope to be an environmental geologist with my phD either teaching or conducting life-changing research! And of course, I’ll have a puppy.  

HCuO: If you could play any character on TV, who would it be and why?
JL:
I think that I would play Louise on Bob’s Burgers. I’ve never been a trouble maker or stray from good morals when I was younger, so I think that maybe exploring a mischievous side of myself would be funny.

Sources: Pictures were provided by Jesse Lesniowski. 

Gloria Charles-Pierre is Her Campus uOttawa Alumni. She was one of our writers for four years and the French editor for two years. Gloria graduated from the University of Ottawa with a degree in Arts specialized in French Lierature and two certificates in LSQ (Langue des Signes Québécoise). Now, she is in Teachers College and loving it. Gloria spends her time doing kick-boxing and working on her personnal writing project while growing in her faith. She hopes to travel more, and to continue her studies with a Masters in Education and also continue working in editing.