This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Name: Alita Fabiano
Program and Year: Honours Bachelor’s Degree in Communications & Civil Law – 4th year
Hometown: South Porcupine, ON
Position: Vice Head of External Affairs

Her Campus uOttawa: Why did you choose your program? Why did you apply to uOttawa ?
Alita Fabiano:
My goal since I have been 7 has always been to be a lawyer, but I also didn’t want to limit my job choices in case I didn’t pursue more education after my bachelor’s degree, which is why I decided to do my undergrad in Communications and Law, so I have a variety of career options post-grad. I chose uOttawa because I’ve always loved the city of Ottawa, and if you’re going to go to school in Ottawa you might as well attend the city’s best university!

HCuO: What made you apply to be a part of Her Campus?
AF:
I had spent the first couple years of university just hanging out with the same friends and was looking to try something new. I saw Her Campus as a way of creating new friendships, but also gaining a really cool experience overall. I am so glad I did it; I’ve experienced a lot on a social and also professional level. Being on the Events & Marketing team has given me great work experience and I would definitely recommend it to new students!

HCuO: What do you love about your position within Her Campus?
AF:
As Vice Head of External Affairs, I love that I get to interact with so many different local businesses within the community. I get to also play a small part in putting together Capital Catwalk, which is such a great event that I have so much pride just saying that I contribute towards it. Mostly, I love that my position allows me to work alongside such great people.

HCuO: What is one goal that you want to accomplished in 2017?
AF:
I’m not into new years resolutions. I’m a “new year, same me” type person, but I do really want to branch out of my comfort zone this year. My friend suggested to me to try to do a workshop or class of some sort each month, like boxing or a wine-tasting class. Variety is the spice of life, so I just want to branch out and try a lot of new things this year.

HCuO: What is your best study tip for our readers?
AF:
Don’t study in bed because studying in bed always leads to just napping. I know from experience.

HCuO: What is your favourite thing to do in Ottawa during winter?
AF:
In my books, winter should just be renamed hockey season. So my winters in Ottawa are full of seeing hockey games, playing some road hockey with friends, and skating on the canal. Oh, and some cute hot chocolate dates with friends are a must too!

HCuO: If you had to pick a favourite quote, what is it and why?
AF: “All that is rare for the rare” from Nietzsche is hands-down my favourite quote. I came across this quote while I was battling a rare tumor, so I enjoyed the irony behind the quote for myself, but it also served as a reminder that rarities are the cornerstone to living an exceptional life. There’s nothing noteworthy in being common, so be rare and be bold and make the most out of everything life throws at you.

HCuO: Where do you see yourself in 15 years?
AF:
My best friend Creep Dawg (don’t judge by the nickname) always tells me I depict my future like some sort of romantic comedy. I know he’ll read this and roll his eyes at me but here it goes anyways. In 15 years I see myself whipping up cupcakes in one of those fancy kitchen aid mixers (I want the white and gold one – I’ve thought about this a lot), and while I’m baking up a storm in the house I have bought myself (#independentwoman), my adorable dog will be giving me those puppy dog eyes because he wants to lick the bowl (#crazydoglady). I will hopefully be flourishing with whatever career path I end up choosing and am working towards building a life with someone special (cheesy, I know). Ultimately, as long as I’m happy, healthy and have a puppy I’ll gladly embrace whatever the future has in store for me! 

Souce: The pictures were provided by Alita Fabiano. 

SaveSave

Gloria Charles-Pierre is Her Campus uOttawa Alumni. She was one of our writers for four years and the French editor for two years. Gloria graduated from the University of Ottawa with a degree in Arts specialized in French Lierature and two certificates in LSQ (Langue des Signes Québécoise). Now, she is in Teachers College and loving it. Gloria spends her time doing kick-boxing and working on her personnal writing project while growing in her faith. She hopes to travel more, and to continue her studies with a Masters in Education and also continue working in editing.