sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Main Moods of Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Halloween is a pretty big deal, you know. On top of that, Halloween in a city filled with universities and colleges is a VERY big deal. During this time we all tend to experience a roller coaster of emotions and sometimes we even go as far as transfering these emotions to the people around us. Here are some of the major moods of Halloween:

Denial
This stage of Halloween hits you like a truck! It feels like the year went by so fast and you can’t believe it’s Halloween already. But, since it’s here and you live in a town filled with students, you realize maybe it’s time to give in and let the party begin.

Anger
The anger stage of Halloween this year comes after you realize that Halloween is on a Monday, next year it will be on a Tuesday, and the next time you might have the chance to celebrate Halloween on the weekend will be after you graduate. Naturally, you are filled with rage. The important part of this stage is acknowledging your anger and think to yourself “when has a weekday stopped major celebrations on campus?” The answer to that would be never.

Decision-Making
This is the part where you are unsure of what your costume will be this Halloween. In University, you are either some type of animal (usually a cat or a bunny) or a really clever pun (Nickel back i.e taping nickels to your back).  You then move on to Halloween-inspired activities like watching scary movies with friends, going clubbing, or shamelessly joining the hoards of children trick or treating.

Excitement
Whether you’ve chosen to be a cat, a clever pun or sit at home and scare children, the excitement is undeniable. There is the excitement surrounding the annual Halloween pub crawl, the weekend-long celebrations, the unveiling of your costume, the ability to take and eat candy from strangers, and even being able to trick or treat at the Prime minister’s house.

The “OMG!!, it’s Halloween phase!” a.k.a a little too much excitement
The day is finally here and you just can’t believe it! Your costume is set, the activity  has been chosen and you can’t hold the excitement in any longer. In this stage, you might experience increased heart rate, sweaty palms, internal screaming and for those who have chosen to drink – drunkenness.

Frustration
Once all the excitement from the big day has settled, it starts to kick in that you’ll have to wait another year for Halloween. You will have to go back to the mundane day to day activities and no longer will it be socially acceptable to scare children, show up to class in a costume, or randomly knock at the doors of the Prime Minister’s house.

THE REVIVAL
Once the depression from Halloween starts to fade, you start to resume your regular schedule and put on a brave face for the world. But, one day as you walk back from your class, you make a detour at Rideau Centre. To your surprise, the stores have put up Christmas decorations. It might only be November, but a celebration is definitely a celebration. So, the excitement begins again. Once you get home, you make sure to light all your Christmas scented candles from Bath and Body works so that your home smells like Santa’s secret garden. Mariah Carey’s “All I want for Christmas is You” plays on repeat and once again, the cycle begins. 

Excited for part 2? I know we are!

Sources: Cover Photo

SaveSave

Hi, I'm Deborah. I'm currently a third year Communications and Political science student at the University of Ottawa. I'd describe my hobbies as those of a middle aged housewife, I love to cook, read, crochet, marathon Netflix and pin all the diy crafts i'll most likely never make.