Let The Millennials Decide Instead: The Movement of Archiving Memories is Far From Narcissistic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Did Instagram or any other social media platform tell you that it could end up being the key to your past? Okay, maybe it’s not as dramatic as I come to make it out, but depending on which app you put on your phone, your future self may end up thanking you in the long run!

I think I can speak for everyone when saying we didn’t give a damn about what our future selves thought while posting a picture of our new shoes four years ago, but perhaps every little thing in our lives came together to make one little Instagram feed. And that little thing? I guess it just makes one big personality. I’m not saying that our social media dictates who we are; I’m just saying that during certain points in our lives we were personalities who were catalogued. The greatest part about this is that we can look back on it! When I realized this, a whole new world of possibility opened up when I clicked on the “slide to open” button on my iPhone.

In a world where older generations curse our technological advancements as narcissistic and self-absorbed, perhaps posting a selfie when we’re happy with how our new shirt fits isn’t so bad after all. Getting likes is nice (who doesn’t like a little attention), but when there are constant reminders of what we need to look like and who we need to be, being the slight bit confident in yourself is almost survival in our world. I think this is what most people don’t understand and mistake for the “me” generation. It took me a while to realize this. I was brainwashed when I was younger thinking that my phone was satanic or something and that selfies in public spaces were shunned. It’s not anyone’s fault that others may think the way they do, but we can continue to think of ways to make our Instagram, Facebook, Tumblr feed – whichever – something personal and meaningful.

I’ve come to learn that memories are an important part of who someone is. They remind you what to fear, what to come back to, and what to love. It sounds mildly silly that something as simple as an application on your electronic devices can aid in self-recognition, but social media is so much more than something to scroll passed while you’re waiting for the OC Transpo bus (if it ever gets to you). It’s so much easier to pull out your phone camera than it is to pull out a Polaroid, and with a simple click along with time and effort put into editing a picture comes the archiving of sounds, colours, feelings, and tastes. So congratulations, you’re contributing to the movement of nostalgic masterpieces. With every post including words, videos, or pictures allows for a certain excitement to look back on in the future. When every caption stems from experience and inspiration, you’re able to see how beautiful your life could really be.

I’m clearly bias when it comes to social media. Taking pictures of yourself in public shouldn’t be looked down upon. It shouldn’t evoke disgusted looks or obnoxious laughs. That being said, putting your emotions into words and paragraphs on blogging websites shouldn’t be seen as a plea for attention while talking about sensitive topics. We’ve seen how much good social media can do over the past few years during the exponential growth of the information era. We have access to help people in need, talk about our experiences, and show the world how we live our lives (with noteworthy aesthetic, of course). That being said, continue your march through this digital world. Date your Instagram posts, use heartfelt song lyrics in your captions, and continue to catalogue your lives through the eyes of many. There’s just something so fulfilling about expanding your personality through the observance of others. And hey… the likes don’t hurt, either.

Picture Credits
Cover Picture, 1

Jesse Lesniowski, a 22 year-old student at uOttawa in the Environmental Science program. Loves writing, gardening, coffee, wine and making new memories.