Kate Forman, Ottawa Slut Walk Lead Organizer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Ever think about what all the kids from your old high school are doing now? Here’s an example from my roots: Kate Forman rose to a lead organizer’s role in this year’s Slut Walk, which took place on September 18th in protest to support victims of sexual violence and to end rape culture.

‘The Slut Walk’s’ origin stems from a quoted Toronto police officer who stated, “women should avoid dressing like sluts,” as a precaution against sexual assault. In reaction to this, I saw this meme about Brock Turner that read, “I’ve been using the same tube of mascara longer than Brock Turner has been in jail,” and I sent it to everyone I know. 

#INeedSlutWalkBecause we shouldn’t have to make a meme out of a situation like this in order to gain attention in regards to where the justice system is lacking. Obviously, something needs to change, so I looked to Kate as an example of what to do about it and how I could get involved.

Her Campus uOttawa: What is the Slut Walk and how did you get involved?
Kate Forman: Slut Walk Ottawa is a movement of protest and march which aims to end rape culture and sexual violence. The goal of the march is to move towards eliminating a culture of victim blaming and sex shaming in our society, as well as to empower and inspire survivors. It raises awareness that no matter what someone is wearing, it is never the victim’s fault. I got involved this year because my good friend, Kayla Spag, had stepped down from her role as leader and was looking for someone to take over. I didn’t want to see Slut Walk Ottawa disappear, so I took it on.

HCuO: Can you what explain rape culture is?
KF: We live in a rape culture, which is to say that rape and sexual assault are normalized acts of violence, which often do not result in any consequences for perpetrators, but rather, for survivors. Women are told that they are responsible for their own safety by how they dress, how they act, where they go, etc.

HCuO: What was your role as lead organizer?
KF: My role as organizer was pretty extensive. I had to get permits and licenses from the city, organize a route, make sure there would be a police presence at the walk, seek out volunteers, advertise, run the social media accounts, put up posters, organize speakers, and find a sound system for the march itself. The list goes on.

HCuO: Describe the atmosphere on September 18th during the Protest.
KF: I would say that the atmosphere at the protest was pretty positive. There were 300+ attendees and all seemed pretty excited. My goal for the march was so everyone felt supported and empowered, and I think (I hope) that was the result.

HCuO: What does the Slut Walk mean to you?
KF:
Slut Walk has always been a supportive environment where I could gather with other survivors of sexual violence. I would look forward to it every year because it was a place where I could voice my experiences and my struggles with sexual abuse, and folks would listen, believe me, and support me. This was the kind of environment that I wanted to continue as leader of Slut Walk Ottawa 2016.

HCuO: How can others get involved?
KF:
I highly encourage folks to get involved for the Slut Walk of Ottawa 2017! We always need more volunteers, and to be honest, running the demonstration as a single person is an insane amount of work. I will be putting out a call for leaders and volunteers a few months before the walk next year and everyone is encouraged to join.

Contact Information:

Facebook, Twitter, Instagram

Sources: 1

SaveSave