It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year! Why?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Her Campus at U Ottawa acknowledges that we are located on the stolen and unsurrendered land of the Algonquin people. 

You’ve heard that “it’s the most wonderful time of the year” from many, I’m sure. The song tells us it’s because the season entails kids jingle belling, happy holiday greetings and meetings, parties, marshmallows, carolling, tales, loved ones near, mistletoe, and hearts glowing. While the song is and has been a hit well-suited for this time of year, I’d like to offer an all-in-one-place and far more organized article that provides 12 reasons Christmas really is the most wonderful time of the year.

Mind you, it is partially biased as I celebrate Christmas with my family and friends every year and I love everything about it. Also, I will state that this list lacks any spiritual or religious connotations about Christmas, so this article is taken as more of an easy, light, and uplifting read that anyone can read regardless of if they’re not feeling the holiday season this year or have never been one to like this time of year.

Here are 12 reasons Christmas is the most wonderful time of the year:

1. Snow

Snowflakes are unique and they fall from the sky so effortlessly, creating a fluffy blanket on the ground and on the top of every surface outside. Snow storms, as well, allow for such a beautiful and cozy view from inside buildings and your home.

Yes, there’s sweater weather which occurs during autumn, but this time of year is all about blankets and hot cocoa and watching magic fall from the sky! In addition, the snow could lead to fun things like building a snowman, having a snowball fight, going skating, tobogganing, sledding, skiing, snowboarding, and even snowshoeing if that’s what you’re into! Lastly, this cold flurry weather allows for the holiday season to be special; it’s unlike any other season. This is because there’s a need for snowsuits, hats, high socks, mittens, gloves, snow boots, and even appliances for one’s vehicle (winter tires and a snow brush).

2. pine trees

When I think of Christmas, I think of pine trees decorated from head to toe in either snow or Christmas ornaments, lights, and garland. Pine trees, specifically, from what I’ve learned growing up, are actually said to help in respiratory inflammation, stuffy noses, common colds, coughs, and blood pressure issues. Who knew? So whenever the weather permits, head on outside and breathe in the smell of pine in the air!

Even better, go to your local tree farm, pick out a beautiful tree—either alone or with someone you care about—and place that tree in your home somewhere to be decorated for Christmas and to put gifts underneath.

3. loved ones

Speaking of people you care about, that’s what this holiday is worldly known for—your loved ones. Spending time with friends and family (or even just yourself) encapsulates the idea of having a person or many people around whom you love and who love you to celebrate, whether that be to partake in gift giving and receiving, enjoying the cold weather, or having Christmas dinner.

4. activities

As mentioned, there are many activities that are perfect for this time of year: putting up decorations, giving and receiving gifts, visiting a Christmas tree farm, and eating a big dinner that you get to share with your loved ones. However, activities here refer to things like taking a holiday card photo to send to your loved ones; building and decorating a gingerbread house with candies and icing; hosting or visiting a holiday get-together like a party or game night; binge-watching Hallmark movies; doing a gift or cookie exchange; visiting fundraisers like Magic of Lights that raises money for CHEO while offering a beautiful drive-thru viewing of Christmas lights experience; and participating in ugly sweater contests! All of these are some examples of Christmas activities that don’t even include the plethora of imagination-invoking DIYing, crafts, knitting, sewing, and crocheting that perfectly fit this time of the year!

5. gifts

As briefly mentioned, gifts are a pretty big part of this time of year and I’m not complaining! Even being alive and in a home surrounded by loved ones is a gift that we all sometimes fail to appreciate. So at least let this time of year be the time when you show your appreciation for life and love. To appreciate those you love, you could celebrate this time of year with them in the many ways already mentioned or you could practice gift giving of some kind, whether you decide to buy a present or many for each of your loved ones or use a gift giving practice that I’ve touched on in my other article:

🎁 Related: Let’s Talk Affordable Gift Giving For The Holidays

6. songs

There’s nothing like Christmas music to get you in the joyful Christmas spirit, right? Presently speaking, we have had so many recreations of classics to the point where you could probably find your favourite artist singing a song that fits this time of year!

7. lights

During this time of year, lights fill lots of rooms and streets as soon as the sun sets (so at four or five in the afternoon). All ranging in colour, shape, and form, these lights add a welcoming, bright, and festive vibe that could make anyone want to take a mental picture, stay there in the present forever, and take out their phone or camera to capture the breathtaking views.

8. candles

Now, this one’s not for everybody, but… Christmas candles are by far the best-smelling candles. They either take on the Christmas colours of red and green or the scent of crisp air, pine trees, and sweets! How great is that that just one flame can bring so much love and joy into the air filling a room!

9. food

It’s the most wonderful time of the year because of the food! Yes, some Christmas favourites tend to be duplicates of Thanksgiving, but I must say that nothing compares to the chocolate, vanilla, cranberry, peppermint, and gingerbread desserts that can bring you back to a happy memory you might’ve had when you were younger. Who doesn’t love sweets and time travel, am I right?

10. Time off

One thing that’s great for lots of people in the working class is how this time of year often entails time off from work. For those in school, there are what we call ‘snow days’ that bless us with no school and no penalty. Either way, this time of year usually incorporates some kind of rest and time off from your day-to-day busy schedule.

11. Higher pay

For those who are not allowed or able to take time off of work or for those who hate taking time off work, there is usually a higher pay for working on Christmas than on any other day or holiday of the year. With that said, whether you have time off from work or are paid more for working on those days, ’tis the most wonderful time of the year!

sharon mccutcheon 8lnbXtxFGZw unsplash?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

12. movies/shows

Last but definitely not least are the romantic, magic and miracle-based, fun and funny Christmas movies and episodes whether they’re classics or newly released. Both types spark the feeling of home through a TV screen where you can indulge in Christmas goodies, decorate your Christmas tree, and relax with a warm blanket… so who can complain, really?

all in all

I hope this article offers you an all-in-one place to find all that makes Christmas the best time of year—in case you’re ever in need of a reminder. With that said, hopefully, the above 12 ideas of snow, trees, loved ones, activities, gifts, songs, lights, candles, food, time off, higher pay, and movies/shows can help you make the most of this time of year and spreading the Christmas cheer to those around you!

Emily Crandall

U Ottawa '24

4th-year Communications and Sociology student at the University of Ottawa.