Style > Beauty

I used La Roche-Posay’s Effaclar Products, and these were the Results

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Are you searching for the right product line for your sensitive acne-prone skin? I had mild acne for several years and I have tried products from various brands on my sensitive skin. As I was scrolling endlessly on skincare TikTok last fall, I discovered that some of the Effaclar products had been gamechangers for certain people. In this article, I will elaborate on my experience with these products over the last three months.

I should specify that I am currently using the Effaclar products made in France (the ingredients list varies from country to country). Also, a little disclaimer here — I am not a dermatologist or a skincare specialist, so I recommend speaking with a professional if you have severe acne or other specific skin concerns.

Effaclar Purifying Gel

Effaclar Purifying Gel is a gentle cleanser for oily and acne-prone skin that contains zinc pidolate as an active ingredient. I have tried various cleansers in the past that have ended up leaving my skin very dry; however, the Effaclar Gel did not have the same drying effect! Overall, I highly recommend this gentle cleanser for sensitive acne-prone skin types.

Effaclar Astringent Lotion

Effaclar Astringent Lotion is a micro-exfoliating lotion containing salicylic acid. On the bottle, it says that the lotion is “anti-blackheads,” so I was curious to give it a try. Unfortunately, it made my skin very sensitive and red after a few days of use. I believe that I used it way too often at first, so I tried applying it every other day instead. To be fair, yes, I did have less blackheads afterward, but the dryness and faint burning sensation I experienced after using the product weren’t very pleasant. In my opinion, the product does its job but needs to be topped with a good non-comedogenic moisturizer. Take your time and incorporate it little by little into your routine.

Effaclar Duo+ Global Acne Treatment

Effaclar Duo+ is a bestselling moisturizing lotion for acne-prone skin. It contains salicylic acid, niacinamide, a ceramide, a Beta Hydroxy Acid and Aqua Posae Filiformis (APF). Initially, I only used this product on my larger spots — and within two weeks most of them were gone! I was very pleased with the results and eventually bought the version that contains SPF to use on a daily basis.

Effaclar K (+) 

Effaclar K (+) is a face lotion for blackheads and skin irregularities. It contains an LHA as well as salicylic acid, vitamin E, carnosine and airlicium. To be fair, the lotion made my face feel tighter and smoother…but nothing more. In my opinion, this is a good product to treat blackheads and clogged pores, but it didn’t reduce my acne. Maybe switching between Effaclar Duo+ and Effaclar K (+) is your best bet if you have acne and blackheads. 

In conclusion, La Roche-Posay’s Effaclar products were overall pretty good and I would recommend them in a heartbeat for their effectiveness. I am, however, disappointed that the products aren’t cruelty-free and I will be looking for alternatives for some or most of them.

Just your average international student that happens to be a language fanatic!
Just your average criminology major, who enjoys watching Supernatural, The Boys and occasionally catching a hockey game. Probably off somewhere writing a novel!