Career > Her20s

How to Make the Most of Your Exchange – Preparation and Organization

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

So you’ve selected where to go to study abroad, and you got accepted, great! This article is pretty much a checklist of all things you need to do, or that are important to think about when organizing your semester abroad!

Housing

Most of the time, or ideally, your host university would reserve a room for you in student housing. However, it is important to check this with your home university, as uOttawa, for example, does not do this. If you have to look for a room on your own, I recommend looking in advance since finding a room can be very challenging in some cities! First, I would recommend checking if you can get into student housing on your own and if your exchange university offers some assistance in finding housing. Another way would be to ask people you know who have completed an exchange at the university you would like to attend. Your home university should have a list of students who went on exchange to the same school last year and may be able to give you contacts. Lastly, if all else fails, I recommend checking Facebook groups or, generally, informing yourself about how students living in the city tend to find accommodation.

Vaccines

This does concern Covid-19 but also, vaccines in general. Some countries need some extra vaccines such as Thailand. You also check the risk of COVID-19 and check some general laws (as for example, I would bring a sex toy of some sort if I travel for an extended amount of time, and there are countries where sex toys are actually illegal).

Visa

I have not much to say about the whole visa situation besides checking in advance if you need one and what kind (student visa/travel authorization). For some countries, getting one can take a simple 10 minutes, while in others take weeks or months and might require documents from your doctor.

international student?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Original Illustration in Canva for Her Campus Media

Is your passport valid / when will it expire?

This point is straightforward, and I think there is not much to say, next to: make sure you check this in time, so you will have enough time to get your passport renewed. If there are issues with your passport, I recommend contacting your university and your host university about it. They might have some information which can help you out!

Book flight/plan your travel

Flights can be very expensive, so make sure to book a flight ASAP! However, do not book a flight prematurely if you don’t have information about when your orientation week starts or if there is a chance your exchange might not take place, such as if you still need to finalize admission.

WingingItMoney?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

How can I pay there/ what is their currency?

Depending on your credit card, you might be unable to pay abroad, plus withdrawing money or using an ATM can be more or less expensive according to the type of card you have. I highly recommend making sure you will be able to use your credit card. Plus, check the most popular payment method. In some countries, there are only a few opportunities to pay in cash; in others, there are only a few where you can pay via your credit card!

Also, if a different currency is used, try to get some cash before your departure (just in case your credit card does not work) so you have a buffer if you need to sort out some problems with your card.

Neutro Lead Image 2 1
Her Campus Media

Course enrollment abroad

This can be very frustrating, and most of the time, you will have to change your course selection a few times. Partly because enrolment is often more complicated for exchange students and since there might be some courses not offered in some languages or not during the term you are abroad, so you can expect some changes.

Travel/exchange grant?

If you can get a travel grand or exchange grant, make sure to complete all the steps required and submit all the documents. Especially since you might have to submit different documents before, during, and after your stay!

piggy bank
Original Illustration Designed in Canva for Her Campus Media

Plan your finances AKA Budgeting!

While some cities are more expensive than others, I highly advise drawing up an estimation of your living expenses and making a well-thought-through plan. Don´t forget to include the flight there (and back). See how expensive groceries are, how much your rent might be, and if there are other expenses, such as health insurance, or other fees.

Check the weather/climate – What clothes to bring?

Since we all would prefer not to die of heat or freeze to death, you need to make sure you’re packing the correct clothes, so you can be comfortable and look good at the same time. Furthermore, think about the activities you will be doing. My own dumbass, for example, only packed for the wintertime. However, I will spend some weeks in Canada during spring as well. Good thing I made some friends who are willing to lend me some clothes and are my size!

Last but not least..

Check stuff like what outlets people have abroad and what kind of mobile plans are available for you.

The first thing I did after arriving abroad was to get a new sim card. Because it is unbelievable how lost one is without mobile data and you need to tell your parents you arrived well :)

colorful phone illustration with social media apps?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp

I know this list can be overwhelming, and some aspects might be stressful to think about. However, I am sure it will all be worth it!

Eva Thonnessen

U Ottawa '23

Hi :) I´m Eva, a writer for HerCampus from the University of Ottawa. I am currently in Canada on an exchange. Although I am German, I have been doing my undergrad in the Netherlands, and now I am here :) I like going to the gym semi-regularly and trying out new sports, including gymnastics, boxing, and ice skating, where I make a fool out of myself every now and then.