Career

How to Ace Your Job Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

So, you’ve made it through the application process and have secured a job interview—congratulations! Now comes, arguably, the most nerve-wracking part of the job search: trying to convince your potential employer that you’re the best person for the job by appearing competent, charismatic, and confident in a limited amount of time. The following tips can help strengthen your interview skills, which are crucial when you’re beginning or advancing your career.

1. Do your research

Many employers want to know that you’re actually interested in the position you’re applying for—enough that you’ve taken to time to get to know the company. It’s a good idea to do some preliminary research before an interview. Take note of the company’s values, goals, services, or programs, as well as general information about the industry. For example, if you’re interviewing for a job with the federal government, be sure to know who the minister of your specific department is. It’s always best to be over-prepared—it’ll save you the embarrassment of being asked a question you don’t know the answer to.

2. prepare responses to possible questions

A large portion of the nerves during a job interview comes from having to think of professional and intelligent responses to the questions asked. Take some time to think of potential questions by recalling relevant questions from previous interviews or Googling the most commonly asked job interview questions. There are generally three categories of questions:

1. Personality questions: Interviewers want to learn more about who you are. For example: Can you tell us a little bit about yourself? What made you apply for this position?
  2. Scenario questions: The interviewer will describe a situation and you’ll have to identify how you’d handle it. For example: What would you do if your friend requested that you share confidential customer information with them?
  3. Experience questions: These will involve asking you to share a relevant experience in which you’ve demonstrated a specific skill or quality that the company is seeking. For example: Tell us about a time when you worked under pressure. Have you ever had to problem solve a complex issue?

Whenever possible, always use the STAR method: describe the Scenario, the Tasks that needed to be done, the Actions you took, and the Result.

3. Practice

Have a mock interview with a friend or family member or practice by yourself and record it. This will help you monitor your body language and eye contact to ensure that you’ll come across as confident and personable during your interview. Practicing can also make the real thing less scary because you’ve already done it!

Working women?width=1024&height=1024&fit=cover&auto=webp
Unsplash

4. be ready to ask questions

Remember, a job interview is also an opportunity to determine if the position is a right fit for you. Don’t be afraid to ask questions that will allow you to get a better feel of the environment, expectations, and culture within the workplace. This will also show the interviewer that you’re interested in the job and want to know more. Ask questions like:

• What does a typical day look like in this role?
  • How would you describe the work environment?
  • What attributes does someone need to have to be successful in this position?
  • Are there learning or professional development opportunities available to employees?
  • What is your favourite part about working here?

This is your chance to interview your interviewer!

5. Take a deep breath and relax

Nerves before a job interview are completely normal and to be expected. When those nerves get out of control, however, they can prevent you from fully conveying your skills and personality. With proper preparation and practice, you’ll have all the confidence and charm you need to deliver a killer interview.

No matter how much interview-taking experience you have, interviews are always stressful. If you keep calm, prepare well, and are confident in your skills and qualifications, we’re sure that you’ll have a positive interview experience!

Carolina Herce

U Ottawa '24

Carolina is a third-year student pursuing a degree in Conflict Studies and Human Rights. She loves reading young adult novels, iced lavender lattes with oat milk, and playing the Legend of Zelda.