This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Now that December has officially begun, I have felt free to go full on Christmas mode. One of my favourite parts of the holiday season is putting up the Christmas tree. Since all my family ornaments are back in Mississauga, I thought I would make my own Ottawa memories with all my university friends. To inaugurate the season, I threw my first ever Tree Trimming party. It was such a success that I want to share it with all of you so that you can re-create your own versions. 

I was lucky enough to find a fake tree for free, but really any kind of tree will work. Can be big, small, real, fake, home made… really anything goes – we are students after all. Heck, last year I wrapped a ladder in green streamers and garland, put a star on top and taped some silver balls to it. Whatever you find, having a tree is the first step.

A key part to my Tree Trimming party was that I wanted my tree to be full of ornaments hand-made by my friends. A craft table was obviously a must. After a dive into my craft bin and a visit to the dollar store, I put out construction paper, stickers, gems, glitter glue, paint, pompoms, popsicle sticks, ribbon and a hot glue gun. It is also a good idea to cover the craft table in some sort of table cloth so clean up is easier.

Make sure to send out invitations early enough in advance to get a good turn-out. Especially with exams and the end of the semester, people need time to plan. I also included in my invite that everyone bring some sort of sweet treat, because the holidays are just one big excuse to indulge.

Before everyone arrives, I suggest making a big pot of hot chocolate. It’s as easy as warming up water over the stove and adding hot cocoa mix. Put out all the mugs you can find and a bowl of mini marshmallows and let people serve themselves as the party goes on. If you decide to make the party a night event, it might even be fun to add some optional Baileys to the warm drink ;)

You’re just about ready- now time for some final touches. To really put your party over the edge, I suggest lighting some candles before everyone arrives, that way they are welcomed into a beautiful smelling home. Moreover, choose a good Spotify holiday playlist (or make your own) and make sure your speaker is charged. Finally, pick out a cute outfit (maybe some holiday colours) and get ready for the fun to begin.

With a tree full of decorations and memories, and tummies full of hot chocolate and treats, the gathering is sure to be a hit. I hope you can enjoy your Tree Trimming Party as much as I did mine!

Alexa Redford

U Ottawa '19

4th Year History student at uOttawa, capital city of the Great White North. Hopeful future law student, human radio, tv show encyclopedia, sour gummy worm addict, procrastinator. UOttawa Lifestyle Editor. 
Fourth year Criminology student at the University of Ottawa, Leafs fan, makeup lover and Harry Potter enthusiast.