Wellness

How to Pull All-Nighters When Needed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

I’m going to preface this by saying that I don’t recommend all-nighters, but sometimes you just have to.

Whether it be because you have too much on your plate or you procrastinated a little too much, we all need to pull an all-nighter, or at least stay up super late at one point in our academic career. Now, I’d like to say that I’m the queen of all-nighters. Not only am I practically nocturnal I am also the queen of having too much on my plate and having to sacrifice something to get it all done. Over my four years of university, I have mastered the art of being up all night and having to keep it together the next day. Here are my tips in case you ever find yourself having to pull an all-nighter for school this year.

Don’t be too comfortable

Avoid studying on your bed or on a couch, it’ll make you want to fall asleep more than you already do. Stay seated at your desk or lightly walk around in your room with your notes in hand. Eventually, your back will start to hurt and all that jazz but remember that studying on a soft comfortable surface will only hinder your ability to focus. 

If you start falling asleep, wake up

Often people think that caffeinating yourself is the answer (and yes it’s a solution) but try other things like taking a cold shower or stepping outside for a minute. It might even be as simple as changing your music to something more upbeat and lively. 

Limit your activity level

Although exercise can actually leave you feeling energized on any regular day, avoid any strenuous physical activity. Exercising while tired will exhaust you even more. Maybe think of skipping the gym the next day. 

Eat clean

I made the mistake of ordering 1 a.m. McDonalds fries one too many times. Although it’s convenient, you’ll feel burnt out super quickly. Some fruit, veggies or cheese and crackers might be your best bet for a midnight snack to fuel up. 

Hydrate

This really went without saying as you should always be consuming water daily but if you’re like me and the sugary juices are your vice, remember that water will keep you feeling refreshed. Try adding some ice to keep you focused and cool.

Take breaks but be smart with them

What I mean is don’t go lay in bed for fifteen minutes where you might just pass out. What I do is sit or lay on the floor on my break where I don’t risk falling asleep, and the coolness of the floor revives me a bit. I also use my breaks to apply a face mask, wash my face, brush my teeth or do my dishes. 

Don’t plan for a big day or make any commitments the day after your all-nighter

You need to rest up. After you have finished what you needed to finish, call-in sick to work, cancel plans with friends and limit your activities to go home and catch up on some sleep by taking a nap. 

Again, I don’t recommend this lifestyle in any way, but if you need to, you need to. Stay safe, push through, and remember to rest when you can.

A fourth year Biopharmaceutical Science student who's open to trying just about anything. I'm passionate about science, equestrian sports, and being involved in my community.
Taylor is a 4th year student at the University of Ottawa studying Political Science and Philosophy. In addition to writing for Her Campus Taylor is the President of the University of Ottawa Equestrian Team, Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus uOttawa and the Vice President of the Ontario Collegiate Equestrian Association. Taylor spends her weekends competing with the team, and when she's not in class she can be found studying on campus. Taylor loves coffee, and tending to her plethora of plants.