How to: Host the Perfect Holiday Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

It’s that time of year again  – holiday party season! After the never-ending studying and disregard for hygiene, it’s a fun time to get glam and dress up for a fun night out. Whether you’re looking to impress your friends with a simple get-together or host a fancy soirée, here are some tips to make your party the hottest ticket around!

1. Plan your menu

Food, people!

Food is a highly important component to any dinner party. The main idea is that you want something for your guests to munch on while conversing with each other. If your event has a particular theme, it may be best to stick to a menu that flows with said theme. But, no matter what, always make sure to take note of your guests’ allergies and dislikes when planning your feast. If your party is more sophisticated, basic appetizers are the best way to maximize social time.

2. Don’t ignore the little details

Make sure your food is placed all around the room so guests aren’t cornered in one area. Maybe put the appetizers in different areas of the room and have your main buffet centred near the seating area. This will give your guests an opportunity to mingle with each other and will have them speaking to people they don’t know.  

For drinks, perhaps have a large punch bowl, along with various coolers filled with beverages scattered across the room. 

3. Decorate, decorate, decorate!

This doesn’t mean that your party has to have extravagant detailing. A couple of balloons or fixed lighting can really set the tone for the whole event. If you’re going along with a theme, visit your local dollar store to buy matching goodies and party favours.

These decorations also include seating arrangements and table favours. Your guests will feel extra welcome if the seats have little place cards with their nametags. A nice bouquet of flowers or a festive, holiday arrangement of some sort will really add to the seasonal feel when placed in the middle of your table. It’s also a great conversation starter, as people will be eyeing the delicate composition. It also makes your party feel more grown-up.

4. Remember…

You don’t have to do everything yourself! If planning your party is beginning to get slightly overwhelming, please remember to call upon a friend’s help. Planning the perfect party can be difficult and if someone aids you, it will make your party that much better.

5. Also…

Have fun! Remember that this is YOUR party and that should not stop you from entertaining yourself as well. You deserve it after all that studying! Have fun in planning your party and make sure to add a dash of your personality into it.

The holidays are the best time of year, so take the time to mingle with your guests and enjoy the holiday season. Your guests will forever remember it!

Take care, beauties xoxo

Photo Credits: Mad Men, The Office