How to Get Away with Wearing Guys Clothing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Let’s be honest: we all love to be comfy. Whether it’s splurging on a pair of expensive Roots sweat pants, wishing we could just go to class in a big t-shirt and slippers, or wondering if it’s acceptable to just not wear pants. I personally LOVE oversized clothing, but why is it that it seems like guys get all of the comfiest clothes? Sometimes, there’s nothing more satisfying than walking into the men’s section at H&M, picking up the largest male sweater I can find, and calling it a day. Why can’t we just wear guys clothing all of the time? Here are some ways to get away with wearing boys’ clothing all week, without looking like you’ve completely let yourself go.

1. Shoes, Shoes, Shoes
It’s all in the shoes, baby! Or at least for a shoe addict like myself it is. Shoes are one of the most important parts of an outfit! If you jazz up your outfit with a nice pair of heels or boots, it takes the style factor up a few notches. You can instantly go from drab to fab! It makes that oversized crew neck and jeans look like a well-thought-out outfit.  

2. Layer it up
Why not add a few layers to your ensemble? If you’re rocking an oversized male’s flannel shirt, try adding a fitted leather or jean jacket on top! Incorporating pieces from your own wardrobe that make you feel pretty with pieces that are comfortable enough to sleep in can never be a bad idea!

3. Make it your own
So maybe that guy’s shirt is a little too baggy and long on you, but you can make it a dress! Add a belt to it, tie it into a crop-top; do whatever you want with it! If you allow your personality to come through, you’ll immediately take your outfit to the next level and bring out your inner confidence.

4. Add jewelry to the outfit
Let’s be honest, the minute we add a statement necklace to an outfit, we immediately feel ten times classier than we did before. If you’re feeling like that oversized male’s long sleeve is looking a little too casual for your day-to-day activities, roll up those sleeves and throw on one of your favourite necklaces! Another personal favourite of mine is my signature watch! The minute I add it to any outfit, I feel significantly more put together.

5. Be comfortable and confidence will follow
Finally, the most important part of any outfit is feeling comfortable in it. It’s vital that YOU feel good in the clothes and feel as though they represent your personality. So, grab all of those comfy clothes out of your closet that you thought were too sloppy and play around! Mixing and matching different aspects of your wardrobe can go a long way! 

What’s one piece of clothing that makes you feel comfortable and confident? Let us know in the comments below!

Alexandria is a fourth year student at the University of Ottawa with majors in Communications and English. She is passionate about animal rights, advocating for mental health, writing, and napping. In the odd occasion that she does have spare time, you can find her crying over cute videos of puppies, devouring a tub of chocolate peanut butter ice cream, reading, or playing with her cat.