This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Freshman 15. We’ve all heard of it. We all dread it. But what can you actually do about it? Here are some tips and tricks to help you stay healthy even when you’re surrounded by food.

Tip #1: Eat breakfast! Yes, even if you have an early morning class. I’m a huge believer in breakfast being the most important meal of the day. Not only does it kick start your metabolism, it also helps prevent binge eating later on in the day – and there’s always some delicious fruit being served. (Read: pineapples and melon) 

Tip #2: Check out your options. Try not to automatically put the first thing you see on your plate. Take the time to see what your other choices are. If you see another healthier option that you like, then it’s a bonus that you won’t have to stand in the ridiculously long line at the first station. 

Tip #3: Balance your plate. The best way to check this is if your meal looks colourful. If everything on your plate is brown or white, you aren’t gobbling down all the food groups. I find the main serving area has primarily proteins and carbs. If they do have vegetables, they aren’t ones I like. Broccoli-ugh. So, a good idea is to head over to the salad and sandwich bar which normally provides more options such as tomatoes, cucumbers and green/red pepper. 

Tip #4: Pick your favourites. It’s impossible to eat healthy ALL the time. It’s even more difficult when you have to walk by all the desserts. My friends and I have all made a pact to use this trick, so if we see each other cheating we can call the other person out. We have each picked out our favourite treats that we are allowed to have every time we see them. (The desserts are switched day to day – so unfortunately you won’t get to have it everyday). Mine are the chocolate mousse, the date squares, and the croissants. This way you aren’t having dessert everyday but, you are able to indulge once in a while without feeling guilty. 

Tip #5: Save the chocolate milk. Yes, it’s delicious but think about how much better it would taste as a pick-me-up on a bad day or as a post-workout reward instead of every meal. The same can be said for juice and pop. Try to increase your water intake by replacing it with a glass of water or a cup of green tea. 

Tip #6: The midnight snack. This one can be super hard to deal with, especially with the midterm and exam grind. So, if snacking is really unavoidable, try to go grab a snack then leave the dining hall. This way you can focus on studying and also avoid the temptations surrounding you – like the person who just walked by with a delectable looking slice of cake. 

Tip #7: Guilt free. If you do happen to eat multiple plates of food in one sitting, then don’t worry about it. Skipping a meal the next day to make up for it won’t do you any good – the cycle will repeat itself. We all have bad days, move on, and try to continue with your regular schedule. Most importantly, love yourself and the body you live in!

Adrienne Graham

U Ottawa '22

Adrienne is a first year International Development and Globalization student in the French Immersion program. She enjoys binge watching TV shows on Netflix, trying out new coffee shops, and running. She is also an avid soccer fan with her favourite team being Liverpool FC. Her long term goals are to publish a novel and to travel to every continent while her short term goal is simply to enjoy every moment as it comes at her.
Fourth year Criminology student at the University of Ottawa, Leafs fan, makeup lover and Harry Potter enthusiast.