This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

When you are in your 20s, you do not expect to have to deal with a chronic illness. In fact, these are supposed to be your “wild”, “adventurous”, “the world is your oyster” years. So when your body starts to send you signals that something is wrong, it is easy very easy to shrug it off as “stress” or “overdoing” it, and not being aware that what is happening to you is in fact, way more significant. 

But then it starts to get too obvious to ignore. Either you, or a concerned family member or friend convinces you to go and visit the doctor. They are not sure what to do with you either, and send you off for more tests. You do not begin to really worry about it, since the system tells you “oh we just want to rule things out”. Besides, you are in your 20s, nothing can be wrong with you – yet. As time drags on though, answers are not forthcoming, and you begin to feel a little ice cube of dread down your back. Maybe something is wrong. Maybe you are not as invincible as you would think. 

Being blindsided by a diagnosis of a chronic illness is like getting hit by a baseball bat while simultaneously falling though ice. You listen as a medical professional drones on in the Charlie Brown adult blah blah monotone, as your senses work on processing your diagnosis. Some break into tears, some go numb, some feel strangely relieved. Hey, at least you know what is wrong with you, you can get fixed right?

Not necessarily. Sometimes, yes, but other times you can only be placed onto symptom support treatment, therapy of a physical and psychological nature, and the understanding that you will have to come to your own terms with your illness. You try to talk to your friends, but they are not always equipped with helping you deal, nor are the always able to face someone who is chronically ill. So you lose some, but you also strengthen and gain other friendships. It’s the outside world, not you, that has the problem adjusting. 

The first time someone tells you “get out of the accessible seating, because you are not sick” jolts you. People are staring, you feel guilty sitting there, especially since no one can tell just how badly you need that seating. But because you are not confident, and you feel guilty, you give your seat. Your body will make pay for that gesture later. Eventually, you learn to politely explain, and hold your ground when the need arises. You wonder, are you the only one this happens to?

No, you are not, there are around 3.8 million others. That is the approximate percentage of individuals in Canada who are currently living with a disability. 4.4% of those are young adults between 15-24 years old. Many of those individuals have what are called invisible illnesses, meaning that on the outside, they seem perfectly healthy. Think twice before you call someone out for using the elevator, the accessible parking/seating, or ask for accommodation. 

Roksolana, or Roksi to basically everyone, is working on her 5th year in her Bachelor of Social Science specializing in Political Science with a minor in Linguistics. When she is not working on assignments, she can be found training her cat, knitting for her Etsy shop, writing articles on disability rights activism, or reading a book. You will always find her with a cup of tea in hand, mom advice, and the determination to make the world a more accessible place to live.
Fourth year Criminology student at the University of Ottawa, Leafs fan, makeup lover and Harry Potter enthusiast.