Hey Holly: Never Been Kissed!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Hey Holly,

I’ve never kissed anyone before and I’m nervous about having my first kiss because I don’t even know how to. Any advice? 

– Never Been Kissed

___________________________

Dear Never Been Kissed,

I don’t want you to worry about the fact that you haven’t had your first kiss yet – that sort of thing happens at different times but I’m sure you’ve heard that countless times. A couple of things to keep in mind: firstly, it takes two to tango and it takes two to kiss. It’s not really about being bad or good at kissing but how in sync the two people are. Secondly, no one has ever taught themselves how to kiss; it will most likely come naturally to you when it happens. Thirdly, something you should know is that putting a lot of pressure on yourself isn’t necessary, because for most people their first kiss is not the one that matters the most to them, so even if it doesn’t go as smoothly as you want it to, there will be many more after it that will make you forget all about it. If you’re still worried, I would suggest trying to have your first kiss be with someone that you’ve known for a little bit who you trust a lot.

The most important thing that you should remember when it comes to your first kiss is to not push yourself, not to put extra stress on yourself and to make sure that it’s only in a situation that you are comfortable in. If you take care of your own comfort first, the rest will fall into place. And if you’re still stuck, use it as an excuse to watch all the romcoms you can get your hands on! Good luck!

XO,

Holly

Need advice, but don’t know who to ask? Submit your love/relationship/student life questions to Her Campus U Ottawa’s advice columnist Holly! Submit your question here: Hey Holly Question Form