Her Club – Telfer Entrepreneurs’ Club

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Name and Program

Helena Devins, Commerce with Specialization in Entrepreneurship

Club and Position

Telfer Entrepreneurs’ Club, Creative Director

What We Do

The Entrepreneur’s Club of the Telfer School of Management is a not-for-profit student-run organization. Our team devotes its time to organizing professional networking events to link Telfer School of Management students with the business community while keeping the entrepreneurial theme in mind. Our club aims to bring like-minded students and professional together to create an inspirational atmosphere for start up ideas and pioneering opportunities. The goal is to expand the entrepreneurial spirit across the University of Ottawa campus and connect with local entrepreneurs to help drive student business start-ups.

The club also has an Elevator Pitch competition where students can pitch their business ideas to a panel of judges in two minutes or less. We as a club also strive to obtain relationships with our members and hold more casual low key events throughout the year aside from our main events. Within the day-to-day club involvement executive members must hold office hours, sell event tickets and keep up to date with the club members.

What I Do

For our two formal networking events, ELLE Wine and Cheese and ‘Toast to Success’ Business Dinner, I work with the Events Chairs to coordinate a theme and plan the decor for their events. This can range from centerpieces, room décor, and overall event aesthetic. Last year it was the 16th year of ELLE and therefore the whole event was themed as Sweet Sixteen!

Why I Joined

I aspire to be a florist and own my own business one day; therefore this club gives me experience working with a small team as you may in a small start up business. This position is challenging me to think out of the box and work creatively with small budgets.

How You Can Join

This year we are happy to welcome students from all faculties. Interested students may register to be a member through our website, by visiting our club office on the second floor of Desmarais in the Student Lounge, or by stopping by our table at the Telfer Clubs Day Wednesday September 10 in the lobby of Desmarais. Annual membership is ten dollars and this allows you to be up to date with entrepreneurial initiatives on campus through our newsletter and a discount on our main events.

Contact Info

hdevi102@uottawa.ca

helena.devins@gmail.com

Sarah Kirby is a fourth year Joint Honours BA History and Political Science student at the University of Ottawa. Born and raised in Southwestern Ontario, Sarah now is proud to call Ottawa home. Sarah is also proud to be the Editor of News for the 2014-2015 Her Campus UOttawa Team.