Healthy Habits for a Healthy Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

As I’ve mentioned before, I am a total shopaholic. The mall and boutiques are literally my biggest weaknesses… especially when there is a sale going on. While some may argue that I have a problem, I simply like to describe it as doing my civil duty and helping out the economy ;). Over the years (and the many, many, many paychecks I’ve spent at the mall), I have developed a few tips and tricks I like to keep in mind when I’m hunting…er, shopping. And it is these wise tips and tricks that I have decided to share with you, my fellow shopaholics.

Now, listen up ladies, and get ready to take some notes..

1. Shop your closet.In my opinion, this is one of the most important tips to follow when shopping. Nothing kills a shopping high faster than realizing you bought something you forgot you already had. Generally, I find taking a quick look at your closet before hitting the mall is the best way to focus on the items you do need/ want rather than the pieces you don’t. While you may love a blush cami, you really don’t need five different variations of one.

2. Prepare a budget beforehand. In my ideal world, I would take a sum of cash out before each shopping trip and that would be my budget for the day. Unfortunately I don’t do this. DO NOT REPEAT MY MISTAKES. The problem (mine anyway) with using debit is that you’re not aware of how much you’re spending. One of my new school year goals is to spend my money more wisely and it’s one I’m going to try very hard to incorporate into my shopping routine.

3. Put items on hold.I am a firm believer in utilizing a store’s “hold” section. If I am on the fence about something, I like to get an iced coffee and take a lap. If  I forget about the item after taking a walk around the mall, then I clearly didn’t want it that much. I find this is an extremely effective method in preventing impulse buys and saving money for future purchases that you truly cannot live without. I follow this method with online shopping as well. I like to give myself a day to really think about the item before purchasing.

4. Remember: quality over quantity. When I’m building my wardrobe I love mixing my investment pieces with lower end items. While stores like H&M and Forever 21 offer clothing at affordable prices, the pieces are not always the best quality. There have been multiple times that I have been in Forever 21 and I’ve been grabbing at random pieces without realizing it and get to the cash and realize it’s almost a hundred dollars! This has happened more times than I would like to admit, so now I make a conscious effort to look at each piece I pick up and make sure it will last long enough to wear more than a handful of times.

5. Never forget the value of secondhand shops. I recently discovered the wonderful world that is thrift shopping and, I have to say, I am hooked! There are so many amazing items to be found at shops like Value Village and consignment stores. As I mentioned above, I like mixing investment pieces with lower end items such as items that are usually found at secondhand shops. I prefer to find the more fun and trendy pieces in my wardrobe at those places in addition to Forever 21 and H&M. If you’re willing to spend some time looking through the racks upon racks, I can guarantee you’ll find a hidden treasure.

6. Enjoy yourself.For me, this is the most important tip to keep in mind while shopping. If you’re not having fun, then there is really no point in doing it. I believe clothes are meant to express who you are as a person and should reflect your unique style. Keep an open mind and don’t be afraid to splurge every now and then. You know that designer bag you’ve been craving for weeks? TREAT YO’ SELF.

And there ya have it, a few tips to keep in mind on your next shopping trip!

XO, Kristen

Credits: 1