Style > Fashion

HC at U Ottawa Style Dictionary: Next Steps

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Finding your style is a hard thing to do and, in some cases, can take years of experimentation! After reading our Style Dictionary series, you hopefully know more about different styles and how to achieve them. Aesthetics like downtown girl, balletcore, cottagecore, and dark academia may seem intimidating but in actuality, they only require a few foundational pieces to execute the style. If you’re looking to expand your knowledge of these styles, the first step is to fill your feed with influencers who have perfected them! I’ve compiled amazing Instagram accounts that can act as a great demonstration of each style. By following these accounts and gaining inspiration from their posts, you can become one step closer to finding your signature style!

Downtown Girl

Downtown girl is the perfect style for anyone who loves city life and wants to reflect that in their outfits! The downtown girl can be regularly seen in neutral colours, oversized jackets and sweaters, leather, and cool accessories. It’s all about the confidence behind each outfit and adapting to the busy day-to-day life of a city girl!

One of my favourite influencers who showcases this aesthetic is Imani (@imanisaker). Based in Melbourne, she fills her feed with pictures of unique, show-stopping outfits that scream downtown vibes. A trademark of hers seems to be an oversized leather jacket and crazy cool sunglasses. Her photos are great for inspiration and suit many different occasions, from going to class to going to the club!

This next influencer is a little closer to home and is also a great source of inspo for the downtown girl style! Raye (@rayemocioiu) from Toronto posts amazing style inspiration. Specifically, she posts tons of outfits—like this cute mini-skirt and leather jacket combo—as well as reels showing how she puts these outfits together! If you’re looking to get into the downtown girl style, you should definitely follow her account!

Cottagecore

The number of cottagecore influencers has really boomed since the style went viral over quarantine! Like all styles, cottagecore has different substyles and is highly personalized by each influencer. But the following people are great starting points for inspiration!

Danielle’s (@butttacup) bio says that she pretends her “life is a disney movie” and that’s exactly the vibe her outfits give off! Her posts are filled with whimsical and feminine outfits that scream fairytale and would be perfect for any cottagecore mood boards. A common staple of hers seems to be the colour pink, as well as beautiful puff-sleeved dresses and garden backdrops.

If you’re looking for a cottagecore influencer that leans more towards earthy tones, Illyana (@illyanalondon) needs to be on your feed! This London-based influencer has a stunning account full of witchy vibes and beautiful prints. Her outfits are also easily adaptable to suit the cold Ottawa winters!

Balletcore

This specific subset of athleisure is the perfect mix of effortless and elegant. If you’re looking for balletcore inspiration, what’s better than going directly to the source—a real ballerina? Olivia MacKinnon (@oliviamackinnon) is not only a ballerina at the New York City Ballet but is also the owner of an Etsy store where she sells ballet-inspired pieces. Her posts often feature gorgeous ballet costumes to draw inspiration from, as well as warm-up and off-duty looks.

Indy Chloee (@indychloee) is another balletcore influencer. Her outfits tend to lean into the ‘coquette’ aesthetic while also incorporating athletic pieces like leg warmers and wrap skirts.

Dark Academia

Similar to cottagecore, dark academia is a style that went viral during quarantine! This style is filled with dark colours, plaid, and blazers, making it the perfect aesthetic to experiment with during the winter. If you’re looking for an influencer to serve as dark academia inspiration, look no further than Sinem (@sinembhd). This German influencer has achieved the perfect dark academia feed, and currently has some great winter inspiration posted! She uniquely demonstrates dark academia outfits that don’t rely on dark colours alone, and her outfits are expertly layered—perfect for the cold weather here!

Faith (@thesunalsoreads) is another great dark academia-style role model. Not only does she serve some amazing hair inspiration, but her outfits are also top-notch! Consisting of elegant sweaters, mini skirts, and accessories, her outfits are the perfect guide to dark academia.

This article concludes the HC at U Ottawa Style Dictionary series! If you haven’t read the previous articles, you should definitely check them out. Hopefully you’ve learned more about different styles and are ready to experiment with your own outfits! These Instagram accounts are a great place to start if you’re looking for inspiration to encourage you to broaden your style horizons.

Katie Grierson

U Ottawa '25

Katie (she/her) is the Senior editor for the uOttawa chapter! When not writing, you can find her reading for her english lit degree, eating sushi, watching period dramas, and missing her dog! Her email is hgrie095@uottawa.ca