This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

February 14th is just around the corner! If you’re planning on celebrating Valentine’s Day with a crush, long term partner, a platonic friend, or if you’re just treating yourself, skip the overpriced Valentine’s chocolates and create a gift for that special someone they’ll really love.

1. Get Baking!

Food bloggers around the world have come up with thousands of Valentine’s Day inspired sweet treats, most of which are very easy to make. Check out this recipe for some delicious red velvet chocolate swirled brownies here.

2. 52 Reasons Why I like/love you Playing Cards

Buy a deck of playing cards at the dollar store and think about all of the amazing qualities that your significant other possesses. Are they a good listener? Do you love the sound of their laugh? Try and think of 52 things you enjoy about the person. This is a super adorable gift and also practical! Now you and your sweetie can play card games all night.

3. Classic Love Letter

In a world of texts and emails, most people don’t take the time to pen a long heartfelt letter to someone they care about. Take a couple minutes and let the creative juices flow. Journaling can be a great source of relaxation, so writing a letter outlining all of your feelings can carry a lot of sentimental value.

4. Decorated Mugs

Again, this involves a quick run to the dollar store or finding a plain mug and sharpies. This is a great way to show off your creative skills. For lots of tips, visit Craftaholics Anonymous. You can also visit The Mud Oven, a paint-it-yourself ceramic studio on Bank Street, that provides everything you need from mugs to paint! Please note there’s a 5-7 days waiting period afterwards to glaze your piece of art. 

5. A Nice Rock

No no no, I’m not talking about diamonds. Apparently when penguins find the penguin they want to be with, they present that penguin with a rock (seriously; see here). This may sound cheesy but it is SUPER cheap (literally a stone from the ground and maybe a picture of a penguin) and the story behind your actions will probably get at least an “awh”.

Bonus: Fit as many cute/cheesy puns into your Valentine’s Day present(s) as you can without being obnoxious. Going with the mug idea? Why not include a little card that says “You’re my cup of tea!” Buy your loved one a bag of Swedish fish and say “Lots of fish in the sea but you’re the only one for me!”

Are you doing a DIY Valentine’s Day? Let us know what you made on our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram!

Sources:

Averie Cooks, Her Campus uOttawa, Mom.me, Craftaholics Anonymous, Youtube

Photo Sources:

Cover Picture, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Emily first got involved in the University of Ottawa's Her Campus chapter in 2015 and is currently part of the Entertainment team. She is in her final year of Conflict Studies and Human Rights with a minor in Women's Studies, works for Public Safety Canada as a Junior Communications Officer and is the President of Theta Sigma Psi sorority.