Halloween Costumes for the Fashionista

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

It’s that special time of year when over-the-top outfits and extravagant makeup are actually encouraged. Seriously, Halloween is the perfect holiday for us fashionistas because it caters to our love of all things creative, dramatic, and iconic. It becomes a personal challenge to choose one of our favourite celebrities or fictional characters and completely recreate their look.

The big question is: who will you be this Halloween? Well, the answer depends on what or who you would like to channel on this spectacular day. Here are some options for your costume this Halloween:

1. Channel Your Inner DivaWe spend most of our days fawning over these musical powerhouses and our biggest wish is to spend five minutes actually being them. Well today is your lucky day. Halloween is the perfect opportunity to dress up like our favourite pop divas and not be judged. Your only job is to slay!

Beyoncé

Try out Beyoncé’s iconic outfit from her “Flawless” music video. This is such an easy outfit to recreate. All you need is a pair of shorts, a plaid button up, and some killer heels. Add some awesome gold accessories and you’re good to go!

Another classic look is Beyoncé’s Single Ladies outfit. If you’re daring enough to wear tights and a black bodysuit, this costume is for you.

Nicki Minaj

Personally, I think Ellen nailed this Nicki Minaj look. There are so many looks to choose from. The leopard bodysuit from ‘Superbass’ or her outfits in ‘Anaconda’ or even her outfits in ‘Feeling Myself’ with Beyoncé. Nicki loves her accessories, so be sure to play those up. Oh, and her hair. Whether it’s pink, blonde, or black, Nicki’s hair is always on point.

Lady Gaga

This is probably the most creative look out of the three but no less iconic. This look is inspired by her ‘Applause’ music video. Here’s a step by step a tutorial to achieve it.

2. Shine Bright like a Hollywood DiamondI can’t think of anyone more glamorous than the actresses of old Hollywood. Elizabeth Taylor, Audrey Hepburn, and Marilyn Monroe are some of the most iconic women from this time and their outfits are so easy to recreate.

Audrey Hepburn

Now we know Holly was “CRAZY about Tiffany’s” but you don’t need to drop any money at that store to create an authentic costume. Grab a simple black dress from your closet and then run to the closest thrift store for the rest. A cigarette holder, a tiara, and a statement necklace are all you need to nail this look.

Marilyn Monroe

Marilyn taught us a few things about beauty, fashion, and self-confidence. For that reason, we need to do her justice. The white halter dress she wore in The Seven Year Itch is probably her most iconic look and the easiest to create. For true authenticity, don’t forget the blonde wig, red lips, and beauty mark. Oh, and watch out for those air vents!

3. Re-create the Cult ClassicsI was going to begin explaining why these needed to be included, but then realized it’s too obvious. They’re classics. ‘Nough said! We can quote lines from these movies in our sleep and Halloween is the perfect day to pay tribute.

Clueless

Are you Cher, Dionne, or Tai? Does it really matter? There are so many looks you can choose from this movie, it’s almost overwhelming. Either of Cher’s plaid ensembles is a great choice or even the little white outfit Calvin Klein calls a dress.

Tai’s adorable overalls are also a great look.

Mean Girls

Talk about #SquadGoals! Even though Halloween falls on a Saturday, you can still wear pink. For a truly inspired look, make a Burn Book of your own! It’ll be so fetch!

The Plastic’s Christmas look is equally acceptable and would be absolutely hilarious to wear on Halloween. Add Mrs. George with a camcorder and you’ve nailed this costume.

Lastly, if you looking for a solo outfit, try recreating this Regina George look. It’ll only cost you a white tank top. But hey, maybe you’ll start a new trend like Regina did.

Gossip Girl

Any and all of these characters are acceptable choices for Halloween. Whether you’re coordinating with the squad or planning your own costume, these Constance Billard/St. Jude uniforms are a great idea.

Blair Waldorf is probably my favourite fictional character of all time. If you’re up for the challenge of being Blair Waldorf this Halloween, don’t forget your withering glare of superiority.

That’s Blair’s signature. Oh, and a really nice headband. #TeamBlair!

Naturally, another costume choice would be the beautiful and elusive Serena Van der Woodsen. Focus on recreating her long wavy goldilocks and fabulous style. You can stick with her Constance uniform or try out another look from the show. Just remember, you’re actually Blake Lively.

4. You Betta Work…like a ModelIn the immortal words of RuPaul, “Sashay, chanté!” Those are the only words you need to think of when you’re strutting around on Halloween. These models are absolutely legendary and a fun costume idea.

Twiggy

Welcome to the 60s! Twiggy is one of the most iconic models in fashion and this mod-inspired look is super easy to create. It’s all about the lashes for this costume. Here’s a tutorial on how to achieve these ‘twig’ eyelashes. Add a pink shift dress and a pair of large silver earrings and you’re good to go!

Tyra Banks

You’ll have to choose between Tyra Banks as a Victoria’s Secret Model or Tyra Banks as a judge on America’s Next Top Model. If you’re going as a Victoria’s Secret Model, don’t forget the wings. If you’re going as an ANTM judge, don’t forget a killer outfit and a stack of ANTM model photos. But only the girls who will be moving forward in the competition in the hopes of becoming America’s Next Top Model!

And there you have it! There are a ton of fashionista-inspired costume ideas for you this Halloween. All you have to do is choose one.What are you planning to be this Halloween? Have you got a classic, fashionista-inspired costume? Tweet us or snap a picture and tag us on Instagram @HCuOttawa!

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Kaysey graduated from the University of Ottawa with a double major in English and Sociology and is currently studying Professional Writing and Communications at Humber College. She hails from the fabulous city of Toronto and can quote Disney like it's her job. Some of her favourite things to do are reading, writing, and aimlessly surfing the internet for inspiration. Follow her on Twitter or Instagram, @kaysey_dee,  or check out her blog: Portrait of a Fashionista