Wellness

Gratitude Journaling: Journal Your Way to a Happier Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Gratitude journaling is essentially what its name implies: a way of journaling that highlights who or what you’re grateful for. Basically, it’s the perfect type of journaling for anyone who wants to keep a journal but doesn’t quite know where to begin. But wait, there’s more! Aside from helping you to focus more on the positive aspects of life, gratitude journaling can also be beneficial for your mental health. According to the Greater Good Science Center, keeping a gratitude journal can improve your overall mood, make you more optimistic, and help you get better sleep! Check out Greater Good Science Center for more information! 

Journaling is different for everyone – not only in what you write, but also in how you format your journal and how often you decide to use it. The most important thing to remember about gratitude journaling is that you can totally make it your own as long as you focus on expressing your gratitude (and remaining positive)! 

bullet journal
Estée Janssens

“Ok, now I definitely want to keep a gratitude journal. But where do I start?” 

1. Buy a cute journal! 

Because let’s be real, you’ll be WAY more motivated to use your journal if you find one you love. 

2. Decide how often you want to write journal entries. 

I find that I’m more likely to commit to writing consistently in my journal if I decide on a frequency before I even start – this way, I can hold myself accountable if I miss a day and make any necessary changes to the frequency of my journaling if I need to. 

3. Aim to write down 3-5 people, things, or opportunities that you’re grateful for whenever you journal 

These can be as simple or as specific as you want, but keep in mind that the more in depth you go, the more you’ll benefit! 

4. Make it your own! 

You can include pictures of friends and family, doodles, and anything else that makes you happy. 

Teaghan is a fourth-year Translation student who loves drinking espresso and thrifting--in that order. She is also a part of the Campus Trendsetters community! Find her on Instagram @teaghandurand :)
Just your average criminology major, who enjoys watching Supernatural, The Boys and occasionally catching a hockey game. Probably off somewhere writing a novel!