This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

If you don’t use Google Chrome as your browser, this isn’t for you. But if you’re like me, and you wouldn’t use any other browser, you might be aware of the Google Chrome extensions. Essentially, Chrome extensions are described by Google as small softwares that customize your browsing experience. They’re little gadgets to make your life simpler when using the internet. 

Now I like to think I’m internet-savvy (I got my IT job somehow) and I like to keep up with these kinds of things. In the spirit of a new semester starting soon, here is my list of Google Chrome extensions that have revolutionized my experience with Google Chrome.

woman using laptop
Pixy

Google Keep

It’s essentially your average notes app on your phone but ten times better. Colour coordinate, add labels, and organize until your neat-freak heart is content. This extension is also an app, so you can sync your Google Keep account to all your devices and keep all your ideas in one place, or jot down whatever’s on your mind no matter where you are. I primarily use this app to store all the useless nonsense that comes to my mind and even pretty pictures I’ve seen on the internet, my future children’s names (we all do it, ladies!), et cetera, but it’s also great to organize just about anything you need to get done. You also have the option of collaborating with others which can make it a great cheap project management platform. 

Honey

THE lifesaver extension I recommend to anyone who loves to shop online but hates paying full price. Honey is an extension that will automatically pop-up when you’re at checkout to automatically find you the best coupon code available for your purchase. Recently, it started a cash back rewards program where you can cash in points what you earned from shopping with the extension on your browser to earn gift cards. 

Grammarly

In my personal opinion it is so embarrassing to make spelling mistakes in important emails or even my social media posts. Grammarly is an extension that will spell-check more reliably than your browser’s average spellchecker. It also works in Google Docs, which can make your life a heck of a lot easier when writing school projects. It might not be the most fun extension on the list, but it sure is useful. 

Momentum

This one is a bit basic, and most of us have probably already seen or heard of this one before but when opening your Google Chrome, you’ll be greeted with this super aesthetic page. Momentum allows you to write to-do lists and see them every time you open a new page. Say goodbye to boring blank tab pages with this bad boy!

Fluany

This extension helps you study while you browse the internet. Need to memorize something? Create questions and add the answers and while you study for something, watch Netflix or surf the web, this extension will prompt you to answer the questions you’ve created. 

Mendeley

This is nerdy but hear me out! Okay, so ditch whatever bibliography maker you’re using and switch to Mendeley. This citation manager allows you to save papers from journals you find on the web, and as you write your paper you can easily click the “insert reference” button under the references tab, choose the paper you want to cite, and it’ll easily cite it for you and automatically add it to your bibliography in alphabetical order. It works for any referencing style you set, and I never have to worry about referencing. Visit their website to download the software and add the extension and you’re all set.

There you have it, my absolute go-to Google Chrome extensions. Make sure to give them a try and let me know what you think!

A fourth year Biopharmaceutical Science student who's open to trying just about anything. I'm passionate about science, equestrian sports, and being involved in my community.
Taylor is a 4th year student at the University of Ottawa studying Political Science and Philosophy. In addition to writing for Her Campus Taylor is the President of the University of Ottawa Equestrian Team, Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus uOttawa and the Vice President of the Ontario Collegiate Equestrian Association. Taylor spends her weekends competing with the team, and when she's not in class she can be found studying on campus. Taylor loves coffee, and tending to her plethora of plants.