Go Big or Go Bare: Men’s Perspective on Makeup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

“Have you seen Lady Gaga without makeup? She’s a monster.”  This was said by Marc*when interviewed about his thoughts on how women wear their makeup.  His statement, though quite funny, is very relevant as to how our society has evolved since the beginning of cosmetics.

If one compares cosmetics in the 18th century to that of today’s society, it is evident there are some radical differences. In fact, once we hit puberty, it is simply a matter of time before people don’t recognize us on our first Facebook picture. Even though a part of this is attributed to our changing features, another reason is due to cosmetics that a lot of young girls start wearing.

Just think about the movie Pride and Prejudice. Being bare and natural was what society proned for during that era. Having white skin, dark eyebrows and a blossom mouth was the ideal face. Even though they would wear makeup like face powder, it could barely drastically change the look of a woman. Natural beauty was key.

Nowadays, both the media and Hollywood convey the message that the more makeup you wear, the more extravagant it is and the better it is. Just think about Katy Perry or Lady Gaga.  Before, natural white skin was attractive. Now, the number of bronzers available on the market is flabbergasting. Your eyebrows always have to be perfectly shaped; your skin must look as flawless as that of a CoverGirl and your lips as perfect as those donned by Angelina Jolie. Ben*, another student of the University of Ottawa who was interviewed, explained how disappointed he was by society’s current standards. “Publicity is exaggerated, especially when the audience varies from women of 16 to 55 years old […] Women should stay as far away as possible from makeup. It simply damages the skin and it is a waste of money.”

The pressure on women grows out of proportion from one generation to the next; all because we believe this is what men want. But is it?

Marc went in more detail by explaining how he could not understand why girls wear bronzer in the hollows of their cheeks. He believes makeup should not change a girl’s features. Another student, Gerald*, said he simply wants to recognise his girlfriend when she takes her makeup off at night.

Most of the university students interviewed said that minimal makeup can go a long way and looks even better. Some even recommended how we should apply our makeup.

‘’If it’s necessary, girls should only wear foundation and mascara. The extra stuff is useless’’ Simon*

‘’The best is to only wear eyeliner and a little foundation. Unless it’s a big night out.’’ Jeremy*

‘’I think a girl who wears light makeup is best. So, some eyeshadow and mascara should be enough.’’ Ben*

However, it is inevitable that women will wear makeup. To each their own way of applying it, but makeup can be fun! However, it is important to be careful to not overdo it. Tom* said he could not stand seeing a line that separates real skin and makeup. As for Jason*, too much makeup is when he gets an imprint of the girl’s face on his white shirt. So, keep these hints in mind when applying makeup for any special occasion. Especially when a man’s white shirt might come in contact with your face!

Of course, not all opinions were negative. Makeup does have its perks. Ray* believes there is nothing wrong with makeup. Whether girls put a lot or none, the important thing is that they are comfortable in their own skin. ‘‘If makeup boosts her confidence, then I’m all for it. She has to find herself pretty before anyone else does.’’

All in all, we should not be using makeup to hide ourselves, but use it to accentuate our features. We all have our flaws, but the most important thing to remember is that we also all have our own beauty and amazing features. It could be our eyes, our lips or even our cheekbones. What Hollywood portrays is not what society should strive for. No one is perfect, but confidence is what makes each of us glow in our own way. If you believe in who you are, with or without makeup, that will go a long way!

So should you go big or go bare? Now, that is up to you. But do remember, makeup will not make up for your personality. Put your best foot forward and be comfortable in your own skin. In that way, no one, not even Hollywood or the media will be able to tell you otherwise!

*Names have been changed for privacy

http://www.listal.com/list/without-make-up

http://www.thefancarpet.com/ActorGalleryPicture.aspx?mga_id=55513&a_id=1

http://mindthis.ca/makeupless/