Girl Dating: How To Make Friends in 5 Easy Steps!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

It is offcially sweater weather. It can be diffcult saying goodbye to our summer dresses and shorts, but wardrobe transitions aren’t the only diffcult things about fall. Being back in school or if you’re headed into the real world, anxiety comes over all of us. We are all entering new phases, whether its new classrooms or cubicles. Those awkward first few classes where you walk in and try to find your seats for the semester as you wallow through assignments and readings alone. It doesn’t have to be a party for one this semester! I’m going to provide some tips and tricks for meeting new girlfriends in class and putting yourself on the line.

STEP 1: INITIATE CONVERSATION

The first step is to remember that throughout the first few weeks, everyone is in the same boat. So stop sweating and keep calm! If you’re anything like me, you’ll be waiting outside your classroom ten to fifteen minutes early, maybe even twenty if you wanted to have time to grab a coffee before class. This is prime time to approach a girl who you think could be a potential BFF in the making. Start of by commenting on the class, maybe you’ve had this professor before, or you’ve never had a class in that particular building. This is the time to achieve some common ground.

STEP 2: COMPLIMENT

Another way to open up the lines of communication is with a compliment. The compliment doesn’t need to be detailed but it does need to be genuine; she will be able to feel the insincerity from a mile away. Next you can exchange what year of study you both are in. Remember, you already have some similarities. You’re both students at that particular school and in the same class, so even if you end up just making an acquaintance, she’ll still be a friendly face when you attend that class, which you’ll never miss of course!

STEP 3: SIT TOGETHER IN CLASS

At this point you’re probably just about to enter the classroom and the next few moments are critical if you’d like to continue girl dating. Either you suggest sitting together as you’re entering the room, or you kindly tell her it was nice to meet her and hope she enjoys the class. If you’ve suggested finding a spot together, then you’ll brace the class as a unit and hopefully she and yourself will want to make plans outside of class. If you’re not feeling enough of a pull for this chat to be made into a full on BFF relationship, you can always make plans to meet up outside the classroom the following week and grab food before class.

STEP 4: EXCHANGE CONTACT INFORMATION

If you think this gal is BFF potential, some type of personal information needs to be exchanged. Whether it’s an add on Facebook or you swap numbers, this part of the girl dating process can be slightly awkward. Try to stay light and upbeat about the situation and even make a joke that makes fun of how you both are actually girl dating! This will put both of you at ease.

STEP 5: SCHEDULE A GIRL-DATE

Now it’s time to make plans. Should you opt for something that has a time constraint or a full day event? My recommendation for the first encounter, would be a coffee date or visit a museum. This way, if you go and realize you don’t have quite as much in common as you thought, you only planned to be hanging out for that preplanned amount of time.
The timed outing also allows for additional plans, if you want to continue to hangout you could grab lunch or plan another activity.

You’ve now completed your first girl date and if you’d like to hang with her again, let a girl know! Tell her you had a great time and either plan to see her in class or make more plans. Congrats on your first girl date and continue to put yourself out there to practice your new girl dating skills.

Maybe one day, you’ll be the expert!

I'm a third year Honours Public Relations student at the University of Ottawa and am originally from Leamington, Ontario. I like to read, stay fit and spend time with family & friends!