This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Highlighters and glow-inducing products come in an array of different types of packaging and formulas. It might be hard to figure out what is best for you and which one to pick to get the look that you want. In this article, I will teach you everything I know about all the products that bring light to your face.

First things first, there are many different types of highlighters to choose from! It all depends on your skin type, the look you’re going for and the combination of products you’re wearing. Here is a list of the different products and what they’re best used for.

Cream (stick & pot)
Cream products are best used on colder days, before applying your powder. They are very moisturizing, which can help people with dry skin but can melt right off oily skin. They may also be too heavy for summer days and some brands can clog pores and induce acne on certain skin types. Cream products come in a stick form and in a potted form. Some stick products have a built-in blending tool, like Benefit’s Watt’s Up!, which helps with a mess-free application. This highlighter is also a cream-to-powder product, which means it will have a powder finish on the face instead of a cream finish. Potted products tend to be creamier since they don’t have to hold their shape. This one from BECCA is a fan favorite for its high shine. Cream highlighters also blend more nicely into the skin and give a more lifelike glow. 

Powder (solid & loose)
Powder highlighters are the most versatile. They come either in a solid pan or in a loose powder form. They are preferred for inner-eye corner highlight as they stay put. They can also be used to set cream or liquid highlighters for a brighter look that won’t fade. Anastasia’s Glow Kits are great if you want to try out different powder highlight colours for the price of one. This loose powder from Inglot also come in lots of different colours and is great to dust all over the face for a brightened look. It is, however, less bright than most solid pans. Powder highlighters are the most versatile as they offer all different types of finishes (see below for finishes). A big downside to powder highlighters is that they can easily look powdery on the face and accentuate texture. They are also too dry for certain skin types, especially in the winter. Some formulas also tend to travel a bit more around the face, but that isn’t an issue if you don’t mind having an all over glow. 

Liquid
Liquid highlighters are very close in use and finish to cream highlighters. They usually come in a pump, tube or dropper packaging and are best applied with the fingers or a sponge. The most common formulas for liquid highlighters are highly concentrated and very fluid. Their popularity has increased as they always offer a good glow without accentuating texture and without being too greasy for oily skin. They are also great for dry skin as they do not stick to dry patches or absorb moisture. These Cover FX Custom enhancer drops are the most talked about liquid highlighters. They can give a slight glow if applied lightly and be built up to a metallic shine. They are great for every skin tone and beginner-friendly. These liquid illuminators from NYX offer almost the same finish for ¼ of the price! Although they are a bit thicker in formula and less accommodating for darker skin tones, they are a good alternative for shoppers with smaller budgets. 

Base & primer
These highlighters are more subtle. They are used first on the skin as a primer, alone to add an all-over glow or in the foundation to bring more life to the face. This is a good way to prevent dull-looking skin without having a too dramatic look. Nars’ Sheer glow foundation is a great way to ensure a permanent glow without using a separate product. Oily skin beware, as this might make you look greasy. A better alternative is a glowing primer to add glow under what can be a mattifying foundation to have glowing skin without looking greasy. This primer from Sephora has many uses and can help bring glow either under foundation or can even be worn alone on the face.

Concealer
Using concealer as highlight is a contouring technique. It brings light to the face in certain areas without adding shine. Areas that are lighter will appear higher on the face. The usual places that are highlighted with concealers are under the eyes, in an upside-down triangle, and down the bridge of the nose to add more structure. There are many different ways to highlight with concealer and it is a very personalized procedure, as everybody has different facial features. This pen from Yves St-Laurent can conceal dark circles and add light to an area. As a cheaper alternative, any concealer from the drugstore that is one to two shades lighter than your skin tone will bring light to your face without breaking the bank.

Now that we went over the different types of highlighting products, I will explain the different finishes.

Highlighters and luminizing products can be shimmering, glowing, wet-looking, metallic, and matte. Different formulas all have different finishes, and the same product can vary in finish from shade to shade.

• Shimmer products are the most avoided, as they may look like you bathed in glitter. They are however perfect for parties and music festivals.
  • Glowing products are the most sought after. The give a lit-from-within look on the skin and are very natural. If used lightly, most products can give a glowing look.
  • Wet-looking highlighters are stigmatized. Most people avoid them as they do not want to look oily during throughout their day, but they look amazing on camera. The give a high shine that looks as if the skin is wet.
  • Metallic finishes can be achieved by packing on the products and by adding some fixing spray to powder formulas. They can be too dramatic for daily use but are great if you want to make a statement. They make the skin look like polished metal and reflect the light blindingly. And finally,
  • Matte finishes can be achieved by using concealers to highlight or by using specifically created matte formula highlights. The no-shine look is great to add light to your face without accentuating texture, which is why they are great on textured and mature skin.

It is important to remember the pros and cons of every products before choosing which ones to use. No skin type is required to wear any product; this is only a guide to the different products, formulas and finishes. Anybody can also use two products at once to get the look desired, and everybody is encouraged to try out all the different types of highlighters for a variety of looks.

Sources: Cover