Gaga and Minaj: inspirational or tacky?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

The personification of modern society is exemplified through personal style and how an individual manipulates such a style to his or her own will. Contemporary music is no different.  Musicians have now taken the world by storm through their lyrics, as well as their style. Nicki Minaj and Lady Gaga are no different.

These two artists have certainly made their mark upon the world. Their music hooks listeners and helps render them as artists.

It is not only their music that is unique, but also their own personal styles. Both love to relish in individual personal styles that encompass quirky and fun sides to them. Their use of colour within their wardrobes offers them great stage presence and they have fully identified themselves as performers.

Nicki Minaj

Trinidadian-born singer Nicki Minaj offers us her own use of colourful styles within her physical image that helps her stick out from the norm. Her music is catchy and upbeat but her personal time is devoted to her fans. Her famous visits and sing-alongs with Sophia Grace and Rosie on Ellen have risen up quite a storm on YouTube. Videos of her brief performances with the young girls have helped raise awareness to the gratitude she awards to her supporters. 

Her background as a trained actress also helped her emerge into the pop culture world. Since then, her colourful personality has shone through. Minaj offers great usage of her musical talents through the catchy beat of her songs. She also utilizes colourful makeup to really accentuate her name and stand out from the crowd. Her colourful hair polishes off her look. She has stated that she is opposed to labels, “But I feel like people always wanna define me and I don’t wanna be defined.” In an interview with OUT magazine, she has made it clear that she is only herself, just Nicki and nothing more.

Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga, however, hooks audiences with her biographical rendition of her early life. As a former student of TISCH, the theater program at NYU, her dramatic show performances and lyrics help retain her past within her music. She dropped out of the program at the age of 19 to pursue her musical career and began singing in bars around New York. When she became famous, her own true style began to emerge.

From meat dresses to heel-less shoes (which quickly became a style staple among many high-end fashion brands), the possibilities for her are endless. Critics of the fashion world desperately try to anticipate her next move, but Gaga is very quiet…and unpredictable.

She reveals next to nothing about her personal life, aside from a coveted interview with Oprah. During this interview, she invited the famous host to her family home in New York City and discussed details from her past.

When interviewed, she claims that her entire look is simply a part of her personality. Her admittance to dealing with bulimia and anorexia “since I was 15 has spearheaded a new movement”. “A Body Revolution 2013” is meant to encourage body acceptance among people. Body image is a crucial issue and has been for quite a while so the fact that Gaga, the queen of contemporary pop, is endorsing this after the grand success of her first movement is a positive reflection upon her role as an inspirational motivator.

Gaga utilizes her own personal style to create awareness regarding certain issues. Her own personal foundation, the “Born This Way” foundation, focuses on stopping bullying and gaining acceptance of one’s self whether it be gender, race, or even sexual identity.

During her “Born This Way” tour, she used her aggressive attitude to drill the messages of her songs into fans. While her live performances may not be child-friendly, everything that she stands for and accepts is highly inspirational to anyone. Love yourself, accept yourself and never let anyone change those impressions are the least one can gain from her.

The fact is: Both Nicki Minaj and Lady Gaga are not afraid to take chances in order to establish themselves as brands rather than celebrities. And this is very admirable. The media can be harsh but it never seems to dull their shine. Celebrities who develop awareness rather than basking in their own fame is what this world needs more of. Young children and teens that are unsure of themselves need inspirations like these women to help them grow to gain confidence.

They are two prime examples of individuals that simply block out any and all negativity that seems to come their way in order to make a change.So, take their example: (maybe not their personal styles!) Be yourself and make your true self stand out! Be the best you, you could ever be and university is the best time for that self discovery. It is inevitable that media and popular culture will dictate various behaviours, however if the influence that these stars might have on you is to be yourself…why not use their morals?

Be strong, fearless and conquer…à la Nicki or Gaga!

http://cdn.buzznet.com/assets/users16/shannonmarie1510/default/lady-gaga-nicki-minaj–large-msg-129968190055.jpg

buzzfeed.com

popdust.com