Fun Things to Do in Ottawa to Get to Know Your Roomie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

It’s September; school’s starting, it’s cooling down, leaves are falling, and, for many university students, that means moving in with your first (or fifth) roommate. Regardless of whether this is your first shared-space sitch or you’ve lived with tons of different people, moving in with a new person can be difficult. The first month is so important in building a bond that’s going to take you through the year – or the next four! Check out some fun ideas for roomie dates in Ottawa!

Brunch at Cacao 70

Who doesn’t love brunch? Sleep in, dress cute and head for brunch with your roomie! With share-plates, a great atmosphere and tons of chocolate, Cacao 70 offers a delicious opportunity to get to know your new roomie. Chat over hot chocolates and a breakfast pizza (YUM!)!

One World Film Festival – September 20th-22nd

Presenting films from all over the world focusing on a variety of global issues, the One World Film Festival will give you tons to talk about! Head down to the Arts Court Theatre with your roomie and check out the films, panel discussions and Q&As this weekend!

Peace Festival – September 26th-28th

uOttawa is participating in the Ottawa Peace Festival this year with events all over campus! Enter a chalk-drawing contest, tie-dye some shirts or do a little yoga with your roomie on campus while focusing on peace and inner balance next week!

Oktoberfest Ottawa – September 27th-29th

The Bavarian Fall Harvest Festival boasts tons of delicious food, great beers and ciders, live music and fall activities! Get out with your roomie, try some new foods while you watch fall games or sip on a beer or two while you listen to awesome music!

Panda Game – September 29th

The annual football game ramps up the rivalry between uOttawa and the Carleton Ravens, with each school filling up a side of TD Place Stadium. Even if you or your roomie aren’t huge football fans, the vibe in the stands and the school pride will pump you up.

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Hi, I'm Kailey, a fourth-year student studying Biomedical Sciences and English at the University of Ottawa. I'm an avid traveller, Starbucks dependent life-form, book lover, a devout fan of 80s music, wine addict, movie guru and a proud supporter of sweatpants and messy buns.
Fourth year Criminology student at the University of Ottawa, Leafs fan, makeup lover and Harry Potter enthusiast.