Frosh Week Scandal: Chanting about underage, non-consensual sex

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Frosh week – the first week of school for new students filled with fun events, partying, meeting new people and university pride. However, frosh week in Canada has been receiving some negative attention from the media, students and people all across the country. Over this past week, a controversial video was posted online of frosh leaders and students chanting about underage non-consensual sex during frosh week activities at Saint-Mary’s University in Halifax, Nova-Scotia.

Chanting about “pro-rape”

In this video, you can hear the frosh participants chanting “Y is for your sister…U is for Underage…N is for No consent.” A few days later, yet another controversial chant was discovered on YouTube uploaded by students from UBC, the University of British Columbia. These videos, which have gone completely viral, are receiving plenty of criticism from other Universities and people from all across Canada.

Unfortunately, these videos have also received negative attention over social media and are said to be condoning non-consensual sex with underage girls. By following the #SMU and #UBC on social media sites, it is obvious that many people are outraged and embarrassed by this event, especially those who attend these two universities.

Risks associated with student led activities

With all this criticism surrounding these videos, many believe that there are potential risks associated with students being in charge of frosh week events for new students. This leads to the question: Who should be in charge of frosh week activities? Students or university faculty members?

After stating that he made “one of the biggest mistakes” of his university career, The President of Saint-Mary’s student union, Jared Perry, has resigned from his position as he believes “it is in the best interest of the students and the university at this time.”

Statement from Jared Perry:

“It is with deep reflection that I tender my resignation, however, I believe this action is in the best interests of the students, the Association and the University at this time. My stepping down allows the Association and its leaders to focus exclusively on the work of re-mediating the damage earlier this week to the reputation of the Association and Saint Mary’s University. My first priority is that remediation and to allow my team to focus directly on their work. It has been an honour to serve the students of Saint Mary’s. It is also my intention to present myself as a candidate for the position of President in the next election. I am personally deeply committed to addressing the damage incurred this week by being part of a long-term change initiative. Also I believe it is important for the students of Saint Mary’s to directly assess my leadership through the electoral process.”

“Righting their wrong”

Despite all of the negativity and criticism Jared, SMU and UBC have been facing, they are now determined to address the damage this has caused and learn from their mistakes.

What will SMU and UBC do to try and stop this from happening again and “right their wrong”? They will be putting the frosh leaders involved through more intensive sensitivity and sexual assault training in an effort to train them on what can and cannot be condoned during frosh week activities. In turn, both universities hope that this will serve as a lesson and stepping stone to not only the frosh leaders and students, but for all students across the country.

Photo Credits: http://www.flickr.com/photos/smusa

I'm Jess - a recent comms and sociology graduate from the University of Ottawa. I am currently living in London, England and figuring out life as I go along.My passions in life are travelling, food, languages, beer, sports...did I mention food?Instagram: @jdemp029Twitter: @jdemp029