This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

As fall rolls in, the weather gets colder, the days get shorter and waiting in line to get into your favourite bar is no longer an option. Thankfully, fall is also the season when films with Oscar potential come out, which means you should schedule some free time to bond with old friends, a significant other or that guy you met on Tinder.  Regardless of whom you decide to bring to the movies with you, these 5 films are sure to leave you entertained.

5. Skeleton Twins

In theaters:  September 12th

Why you should watch it: A crowd pleaser at this year’s Sundance film festival, this film is guaranteed to make you laugh. Skelton Twins also reunites Bill Hader and Kristen Wiig, two of our favourite SNL comedians. 

4. Mommy 

In theaters: October 8th

Why you should watch it: In case you did not know, Mommy is a French Canadian film directed by Xavier Dolan. If you do not know who Xavier Dolan is, you should probably drop everything right now and go watch any of his films. The next time you’re on a trip abroad and someone gives Canada some slack for lacking culture, pretentiously start naming some of his films. Mommy is Dolan’s latest film and it was awarded the Grand Jury Prize at the Cannes Film Festival. 

3. Foxcatcher 

In Theaters: November 14th

Why you should watch it: Bennett Miller’s powerfully disturbing true-crime saga brings together Channing Tatum, Steve Carell and Mark Ruffalo in a wonderfully crafted film. Director Bennett Miller was also awarded the prize for Best Director at this year’s Cannes Film Festival, which means that Foxcatcher should be a visual wonder. This is the perfect film to watch with a partner if you want something that will give you plenty to talk about after the movie. 

2. Dear White People 

When is it coming out: October 17th

Why you should watch it: Dear White People came out of nowhere at this year’s Sundance Film Festival and instantly became a crowd favourite. The film revolves around four African American students at an Ivy League college where a riot breaks out over a popular ‘African American’ themed party thrown by white students. Dear White People offers plenty of social commentaries, while never taking itself too seriously or too lightly. 

1.Interstellar

In Theaters: November 7th 

Why you should watch it: Christopher Nolan’s Interstellar is this fall’s most anticipated film and everything about it sounds fantastic. From its cast, which includes Matthew McConaughey, Anne Hathaway and Michael Cane, to its cinematographer and composer. Interstellar will be a favourite at this year’s Academy Awards.

Picture References

1, 2, 3, 4, 5

I'm Stéphane Mukunzi, a student in political science and communication at the University of Ottawa. I specialize in social media, audio-visual content, marketing as well as public relations. For the past 3 years, I have worked as a Mentor for Youth Futures, a program seeking to reduce poverty by encouraging students to pursue post-secondary education. During the school year, I work as the Coordinator at Zoom Productions and as a Marketing and Communication Officer for the Office of Technology Business Entreprise. While pursuing my degree at the University of Ottawa, I participate in extracurricular activities. I am the president International, Political, Policy Studies Student Association at the University of Ottawa. I have also co-founded the University of Ottawa Film Society to foster a community of film enthusiasts.