This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

We all know the thrift trend is alive and well in light of changing fashion, environmental implications, and increased awareness around the quality that can be found in second-hand items. While the movement towards second-hand clothes holds a multitude of benefits, local shops with thrifted or consignment items are often placed in the shadows of larger corporations. Within Ottawa, there are many small, unique stores and events which have some of the trendiest fashion at feel good prices. Not to mention, some of these events also carry fair trade items, which makes sustainable shopping feel even better! Before heading to the mall for your Christmas shopping, join the fashion revolution and check out these events happening in the Ottawa area in the coming weeks: 

1. AEDSA Clothing Swap (Nov 19)

This student-led clothing swap takes place in the heart of uOttawa campus, the Faculty of Social Sciences building room 2039. This event, put on by the International Development and Globalization Students Association, allows you to bring the items you no longer use and take items that you like! The event is also not solely exclusive to clothes, including the exchange of household items like mugs and decorations. A unique aspect of this clothing swap is that torn or stained items are also accepted, as they will be reused to create DIY projects! Take a study break on November 19th and swing by between 5PM – 7PM to shop sustainably for yourself, someone else, or just drop off the items from that much needed closet clean-out! 

link to event: https://www.facebook.com/events/758537724591264/  

2. Vintage Holiday Pop-Up (Nov 23)

Vintage is back, and with that, holiday shopping is made easy with this event carrying one of a kind vintage pieces and handcrafted goods! There’s something for everyone at this pop-up event, as it provides a variety of clothing pieces from a multitude of local, ethically and environmentally aware businesses. The purpose of vintage pop-ups like this is to help local shops, while diverting dollars away from large corporations who use exploitative labour practices. Who doesn’t love some vintage gear? Make sure to check out this pop-up on the 23rd at the Westboro Legion! 

link to event: https://www.facebook.com/events/2469406196620541/

3. Tanvi Silver & Stones Holiday Event (Nov 24) 

Tanvi Silver & Stones is dedicated to bringing unique, fairly traded and quality collection items to the Ottawa region through special events, and this Christmas event is not one to miss! The upcoming event is located in the stunning AllSaints event space in Sandy Hill! Grab a coffee or stay to study at the Working Title Cafe, and stop in at the pop-up! Tanvi offers a variety of clothing, alongside fairly traded, beautifully handcrafted jewelry pieces which make absolutely perfect gifts. All of the products are created by women in the Nepali region, and by purchasing these items, you are supporting the livelihoods and enhancing opportunities for women and small scale artisans. The goal of this company is to support women’s empowerment, and to expand markets for the partners in Nepal to maintain, build and expand their businesses. Feel good with your gift-giving this holiday season and help to support female-led businesses! Make sure to save the date for Tanvi’s holiday event on November 24th! 

link to event: ://www.facebook.com/events/557203464824380/ 

4. Winter Wonderland Pop-Up (Dec 8) 

Cutting it close to Christmas gifts? This December 8th event is one to stop in at! Raise funds for the Ottawa Humane Society with a $2 entry fee and support local businesses by attending this 2 floor, 26 vendor vintage pop-up. This event offers a variety of clothing, accessories, home decor, designers, crafts, and more! This pop-up strives to create a welcoming, inclusive environment for sustainable shopping to all community members who have a love for vintage! 

link to event: https://www.facebook.com/events/253559945196986/

Julia Hoffer

U Ottawa '20

Just a happy gal!
Taylor is a 4th year student at the University of Ottawa studying Political Science and Philosophy. In addition to writing for Her Campus Taylor is the President of the University of Ottawa Equestrian Team, Editor-In-Chief of Her Campus uOttawa and the Vice President of the Ontario Collegiate Equestrian Association. Taylor spends her weekends competing with the team, and when she's not in class she can be found studying on campus. Taylor loves coffee, and tending to her plethora of plants.