This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Most of us know about the ongoing struggle of keeping our eyebrows shaped and groomed. This said, we’ve all gone through that period where we’ve either over-plucked our brows or let our inner Frida Kahlo shine. If, like me, you’ve gone through both, you only further understand the need to stress the upkeep of the perfect brow. For those of you who are strangers to the world of the brow, here are a few tips to help steer you in the right direction.

1. Grow them out
Before shaping them into that perfect arch, you’ll need to let them grow to their full potential. If your lack of eyebrows is preventing you from finding the perfect shape to contour your face, products like castor oil have endless benefits for your hair and skin. Mix some turmeric with your castor oil and apply the mixture to your eyebrows overnight. Trust me, the results are worth it.

2. Shape them
Once you’ve grown them out and have them looking as thick and luscious as you can, it’s time to move on to shaping them. For those of you with round, oval and heart-shaped faces, give your brows a high arch to lengthen your features. If you have a square face, try a softly curved arch to soften your jawline. To properly shape your brows, don’t hesitate to dig out those tiny scissors none of us have ever used from your nail kit. Along with a good plucker, the scissors will allow you to trim any overachievers.

3. Fill them in
Once they’ve been groomed to perfection, you’ll want to fill them in to ensure that those brows cut like knives. However difficult this step may seem, if you’ve properly shaped your eyebrows, the product you add should only help accentuate their pre-existing shape. A few keepers I live by when it comes to filling in my eyebrows are Anastasia Beverly Hills’ Dipbrow Pomade, $9.00. Before purchasing your filler, make sure the colour matches your eyebrows to a T. This said, using your nose and eyes (demonstrated in the pictures below), you’ll be able to fill them into their intended shape. Once you’ve filled in the patchy areas and passed over them with a spoolie brush, make sure to use a clear brow gel to keep your masterpiece in place throughout the day.

Having fleeky eyebrows may seem like a silly notion at first, but there’s no denying the importance of a strong brow. Not only does it compliment any makeup look, but it truly accentuates your face’s symmetry. Also, on those days you’re just not feeling a full face of makeup, doing your eyebrows may be just the touch you’re looking for. It’s always nice to look like we woke up like this, in a way that would make Beyoncé proud.

P.S. Remember, eyebrows are sisters, not twins.

What are your brow essentials? Let us know in the comments below!

Sources: Cover, 1, 2, 3

SaveSave

First year Conflict Studies and Human Rights student.