Exam Blemishes: Simple DIY Pimple Cures

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

In the midst of final projects and exams, we students, are no strangers to acne angst. You know… those monstrous, honking, fire-red zits that always seem to pop up at the most inopportune times. No matter how much you prod and pray, they just never seem to go away. Luckily, Her Campus uOttawa has compiled a list of great and inexpensive remedies; most of which can be found in your own kitchen. Not every acne cure has to involve visits to your dermatologist or purchasing expensive topical products, these do-it-yourself solutions will help minimize and vanish those oh-so embarrassing exam time breakouts without breaking the bank. Try any of these 3 all natural miracle methods and watch your pimples disappear!

Banana peels

Forget about expensive acne washes, a banana rind is all you need to help clear your troubled skin. It’s quite simple, eat a banana, and save the peel. It may sound odd, but the peel of a banana contains Lutein which is a powerful antioxidant, antifungal, antibiotic with enzymatic properties that can help cure blemishes.

This trick is simple, easy and all natural. Just cut a small piece (approximately 1,5 inches) of a ripe (yellow/black) banana peel and gently massage the inner part of the peel over your problem area for approximately 5 minutes or until the inside of the peel turns brown. Then, wipe off the excess residue surrounding the pimple with lukewarm water and leave until dry. Do this routine twice a day until your blemishes disappear completely. You may also use this trick on any other part of your body such as your back and/or chest. You will be amazed at how incredible your skin feels after only a few uses. In fact, you will see results following the very first night. I recommend applying over night so that you will not smell like banana all day long. Rubbing the peel all over your face can also be effective as an all over facial.

If banana peels weren’t already awesome, they are also great for healing warts, minor burns, psoriasis and poison ivy. After discovering banana peels, wave goodbye to all those costly, commercial anti-acne treatments and hello to clear and radiant skin.

Honey

Here’s yet another acne fighting ingredient that can also be found in one’s kitchen. This all natural, sticky substance contains antibacterial properties that benefit acne-prone skin by reducing breakouts and helps heal current breakouts. Honey kills infectious bacteria in and around the pimple. Due to it being a natural humectant it locks in just the right amount of moisture to help keep skin hydrated.

Utilizing honey for spot treatment is pretty straightforward. Just dab a small pea-sized amount of honey right over your blemish and leave it on for about 10-15 minutes. Once dried, rinse and repeat for a few days until the blemish has completely disappeared. Furthermore, honey is also used as a mask to help sooth and heal troubled skin. Just scoop out a spoonful of honey and apply to your face like you would any mask. Since honey tends to be thick, it always helps to dampen your skin prior to applying or to wet your hands to help spread the honey over your face. Depending on how well your skin tolerates honey, you may use it as frequently as you wish. Unlike regular masks, honey doesn’t really dry, which is why you should be careful not to apply too much of it. Otherwise, the warmth of your skin will most likely heat the honey and cause it so run and/or drip. Basically, you can leave the honey mask for as long as you like, but most people wash it off after 30 minutes.

Who knew that the old jar of honey sitting in your kitchen cabinet would be your go-to ingredient for fighting pimples and dry skin? Well believe it! Some even add cinnamon to create this pimple-killing paste. Talk about a sweet skin treatment!

Lemon Juice

Lemons aren’t just for helping the bitter taste of tequila go down; they are also extremely useful for curing acne. Lemon juice is a citric acid, rich in vitamin C, which has various benefits for many different skin types. The citric acid that is found in lemon juice exfoliates the skin, whilst also acting as an astringent, thus drying out the pimple. Another great advantage for lemon juice is that it is a natural skin whitener, which helps reduce the redness of the infected area. Also, when fresh scars appear, lemon juice can also be applied to both exfoliate and lighten the irritated skin complexion. If you have mild acne and are seeking for an inexpensive and natural cure, lemon juice might just be the answer for you.

Stress is proven to be one of the main culprits when it comes to acne. So when finals roll around, come prepared by using any of these all natural DIY remedies to prevent those stubborn breakouts. The methods shown above are effective and inexpensive ways to keep your skin smooth and acne free; offering you spa quality skin care without the spa price. However, it is important to note that if your acne persists, check in with your dermatologist for a professional prognosis. Just remember, moisturize and drink lots and lots of water! So good riddance embarrassing pimples and hello radiant, pimple free skin!

Picture Credits:

http://thewhitelotus.ca/products/honey/attachment/honey-2/

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-LughHUsuIh0/TxTBBsFz_II/AAAAAAAADtw/BPemWUZnIsI/s640/banana-peel.jpg

http://shwinandshwin.blogspot.ca/2010/10/skin-brightening-toner.html

http://www.gurl.com/2012/04/13/get-rid-of-acne-fast-advice/

I am a fourth year student at the University of Ottawa in Communications studies. Throughout my studies I have obtained experience in the field in the Federal Government and have just recently been selected as an intern for a great Communications and PR firm. Aside from my work and studies I spend a whoooole lot of time and money on my wardrobe. Over the years it has become crystal clear that I have an addiction, a fashion addiction. Which leads me to affirm that I am a self proclaimed shopaholic. Shoes and purses, accessories, tops and bottoms, any component that lies within an ensemble, I love it all. My bank account has fallen prisoner and therefore victim of my serious addiction and I have decided to share the plentiful knowledge I have gathered no thanks to my "problem". The first step is acceptance, check! I hope my tips and tricks will serve the readers as they have me, although my diminishing savings account would say otherwise. Well that is me in a nutshell.