This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

A magnitude 7.8 earthquake struck Turkey and Syria on February 2, 2023, resulting in thousands of deaths, injuries, and the destruction of homes and buildings.

To provide relief to Turkey and Syria, there are many international relief groups that we can donate to. In other words, supporting international relief organizations that provide medical care and necessities like food, water, and sanitation services is currently the greatest method to help the impacted areas.

The organizations listed below are dedicated to assisting Syrians and Turks in need.

TURKISH RED CRESCENT

In addition to bringing tents, blankets, and beds, the Turkish Red Crescent is also offering mobile catering and culinary services to the area.

WHITE HELMETS

White Helmets—in other words, the Syria Civil Defense—attempt to help people trapped beneath the rubble and save the bodies of those who have died in fallen structures.

SAVE THE CHILDREN

Save the Children has launched a children’s emergency fund in order to offer warm clothing, food, and shelter to children who require assistance.

CARE Türkiye

One of Care International’s overseas outposts, CARE Türkiye is noted for providing crucial supplies to people seeking safety in the wake of the earthquakes.

PROJECT HOPE

Teams from Project Hope‘s emergency response program are being sent to the impacted areas to aid with local rescue operations and to aid individuals in need.

DOCTORS WITHOUT BORDERS/Médecins sans frontières

Doctors Without Borders has personnel in northern Syria treating the injured while also distributing emergency medical supplies to nearby facilities. 

UNION OF MEDICAL RELIEF AND CARE ORGANIZATIONS (UOSSM)

The Union of Medical Relief and Care Organizations (UOSSM) aims to provide the people of Syria with emergency medical care as well as other healthcare services.

GLOBAL GIVING

A U.S.-based nonprofit organization called Global Giving accepts donations for earthquake relief funding for Turkey and Syria. The funding would help emergency personnel provide survivors with shelter, food, water, and medical care.

Many other organizations are available and ready to help Turkey and Syria. Your donation to these organizations will offer relief to those impacted by the earthquake.