Dress to Impress for your Co-op job!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

As if mid-terms and finals weren’t stressful enough, second and upper year students also have the added pressure of co-op interviews. Co-op interviews are one of the most stressful events of a collegiette’s life. It’s like combining meeting the parents and that job interview you had last year for that store at the mall. Co-op interviews are super stressful, requiring students to know detailed information about the company whilst playing it cool under pressure. Co-op interviews occur during the most stressful times of the year, and this is tough for all students, but especially taxing for second-year students starting the co-op process. Even the most experienced of collegiettes don’t have that much professional interview experience. Whilst interviews aren’t solely based on looks, it never hurts to give off a killer first impression. This means dressing to impress!

If the heels you’re wearing to the bar on Saturday nights are the same height and style as the heels you’re planning on wearing to your co-op interview, or, even worse, if they’re the same shoes, you’re going to have a problem. While price tags may be discouraging, it is every collegiette’s duty to purchase a good pair of black heels. A solid pair of black heels is an investment – they go with everything, and are absolutely timeless. Avoid platform heels, as they’re inappropriate for the office. They may be comfier than conventional heels but you don’t want to be teetering down the office hallway! If black is too conservative or typical for you, opt for a nude pair of heels – they’re subtle yet classy. Another great idea is a pair of Oxford heels – they’re very collegiate and professional, but a little different from your typical heel. You don’t have to go straight to Louboutins, but you should definitely get a well-made, comfortable pair that will last you for a few co-op terms. Try Steve Madden, or Le Chateau.

Besides a killer pair of black heels, a staple you should invest in is a black blazer. Blazers go with virtually everything and can dress-up a casual outfit easily. They come in a variety of colors, and depending on the staple colors of the rest of your wardrobe, your blazer can be a go-to pop of color. Aritzia has a great raspberry-colored one that goes great with a neutral palette of colors. A blazer of any type is a classic piece that is worth the steep price tag! Get one tailored and well-made and it’ll last you your whole professional career, not just your co-op placement.

A typical downfall of a collegiette’s co-op wardrobe can be her skirts. We tend to think that our weekend skirts can double as our work skirts. This is definitely a co-op faux pas. Skirts for co-op should end just above the knee. The cut is your choice, with A-line definitely being this season’s favorite! Appropriate skirts are super important and don’t forget to pair them with stockings – either plain, or subtly patterned for a more contemporary look. 

Think of your co-op interview as meeting your new boyfriend’s parents for the first time, multiplied by a hundred. Whilst cleavage-bearing necklines may seem great for a date with your boyfriend on Saturday night, you definitely wouldn’t wear one to meet his parents at a formal Sunday night dinner. Shirts you wear to the bar may seem versatile enough under a blazer for the office, but the last thing you want is to be the inappropriately-dressed co-op employee. Stick to tailored button-down shirts – they’re classic and versatile. You can tuck them into skirts and wear them under v-neck sweaters for a pop of colour. You can never go wrong with Ralph Lauren – they’re classy and always seem to be on sale! Button-downs are also great because you can add tons of accessories; even when your wardrobe revolves around a few staple pieces, it’ll always look unique and original.

While it may not always seem like it, there are definitely ways to look cute and chic while still keeping your outfit work-appropriate. Stores such as Club Monaco, Banana Republic, and Aritzia have great options. These are definitely pricier stores than your typical Forever21 haunt but the investment is definitely worth it! The more professional you look, the more likely your potential co-op employers will be able to see you in their office environment. Dress to impress, and dress for success!

careerpolish.wordpress.com

www.tumblr.com