This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

It seems that each year the minute the clock hits midnight on November 1st, it’s Bye Bye Halloween and HELLO WINTER HOLIDAYS! We hear carols on the radio and see twinkle lights wherever we go. December can be a drain on our brains (because exams, blah) and on our wallets. Gift giving has become a large part of the holiday season and for some people, this can be the source of a lot of stress. Thankfully there are actually a lot of alternative options to the typical mad dash to the mall system of Christmas shopping, including a whole bunch of ways to find a perfect gift for any special person in your life.

1. uOttawa Book Store
Parents, grandparents, siblings, and anyone from your home town (who you still talk to) always want to know how you’re enjoying the university experience. Why not make them feel like you’re thinking of them by getting them some University of Ottawa gear! Sweaters can be pricy but a garnet mug with the school’s logo is enough to say “I was thinking of you while standing in line to buy this one textbook that I’ll only ever open once for a midterm”.

2. Christmas Market
This year from December 1st to December 3rd, uOttawa’s Community Life is going to be hosting a holiday market! Local vendors will be on campus selling some of their products just in time for the holiday season. You’ll probably be able to score a great day and will be supporting Ottawa businesses!

3. Student Businesses (Balance Project, Parcelly)
The University of Ottawa has some fantastic student run businesses that you should support during the holiday season! Get your friend or family member an ethically made, locally designed t-shirt from The Balance Project or send a special package from Parcelly to let them know you’re thinking about them all the way from Ottawa!

4. Donate to a club and get them to write you a thank you note
Are you more interested in the spirit of giving rather than actually buying presents? If you’re feeling charitable, check out the different philanthropic and humanitarian clubs on the SFUO website and consider donating to them! There are so many different clubs so you can find an organization that focuses on an issue you’re passionate about. Ask the club’s executive to write a small thank you note that you can personalize for your different loved ones. It’s a gift that keeps on giving sure to warm your loved ones’ hearts.

5. Free Store
If you’re a crafty person, consider doing a DIY Christmas! Pinterest will give you thousands of ideas for “the best DIY gifts EVER!!!” You can check out a few here. Then head over the Free Store, supported by the Office of Campus Sustainability. Save money on mason jars, old clothes, binders and books that you would have to pay for at Value Village or the dollar store. Making gifts yourself will take more time than just going to the store but by reusing donated items, you’re reducing your environmental footprint and are creating a much more personal gift!

Happy holiday shopping collegiettes!

Photo References:

Cover Picture, 1

Emily first got involved in the University of Ottawa's Her Campus chapter in 2015 and is currently part of the Entertainment team. She is in her final year of Conflict Studies and Human Rights with a minor in Women's Studies, works for Public Safety Canada as a Junior Communications Officer and is the President of Theta Sigma Psi sorority.