This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.
As collegiettes, why not put use to the things we have the most of?  Wine bottles, of course. The following are 8 unconventional do-it-yourself crafts for Christmas that are easy to make and unique for all those gifts you are planning on giving. 

1. Christmas Tree Ornaments
There are so many variations of this adorable craft.  All you need is wine corks, some ribbon, and anything else you need to make it your own.  I have seen ones with small music sheets wrapped around, and covered in sparkles, or with rhinestones stuck around in a design.  It’s so easy to make each one different and unique.

2. Christmas Tree
This craft is so perfect for Christmas, and I have seen many variations.  Using the idea above, you can even turn an ornament into a mini-tree.  For the simpler tree, use wine corks in increasing sequence, (1, then 2, then 3, then 4; you get the picture).  Hot glue, or super glue will work best to keep the corks together!

For the much more complicated cork tree, check out these instructions.

3. Decorative Reindeer/Snowmen/Carolers/Elves etc.
Just like the Christmas tree ornaments, this craft comes in many variations.  To make the cork reindeer, cut two corks into the length of leg you want, and attach them to another cork for the body.  Attach another small piece to the opposite side for the neck, and half a cork for the head.  Attach googly eyes and pipe cleaners for antlers.  Little cotton balls or mini coloured pompoms can be used for the nose, and tail.  For snowmen, elves or carolers, use paint and small pieces of material to make clothing!  Use a black Sharpie marker to draw on a face, and other small features!

4. Wine Bottle Snowmen
This craft is super easy!  Paint wine bottles completely white, and paint faces onto the bottles!  BOOM snowmen wine bottles!  You can also paint a Santa Claus on the bottle, and use the neck as the hat!

5. Cork Coasters
Cut a cork into four equal pieces (so that the coasters aren’t like two inches high).  Use hot glue, or super glue to glue all the pieces together.  You can use the pieces to make any shape you want!  Classic circles, hearts, or snowflakes are great ideas for the holidays! You can even pain them after for a different look!

6. Cork Ball
A cork ball is a great decoration to hang from ceilings, doorways, or as a table centerpiece!  Pick up some Styrofoam balls, and paint it a base colour (you probably don’t want white showing through), and start to glue on the corks!  It looks super rustic, and Christmas-y.  A neat idea for the cork balls is to paint it white (won’t need to paint the Styrofoam balls!), add some sparkles, and make a cork ball snowflake! Or, you could pain the corks to look like mistletoe and hang around your house!

7. Christmas Tic-Tac-Toe
Take your set of cork Christmas carolers, snowmen, or reindeer etc., and create a game of Tic-Tac-Toe! Use construction paper, Bristol board, or cut pieces of felt to make the square into 3×3 spaces for the game!  If you’re using a canvas, you can just paint a background colour, and then paint on the 3×3 spaces.

References:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9