Style > Beauty

Dearest Reader, Did You Know About This 4000-Year-Old Indian Beauty Secret?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Hopefully, you’ve finished binge-watching the second season of Bridgerton and have time to read this.

The newest season of Bridgerton was groundbreaking, to say the least. It not only made everyone fall in love with Jonathan Bailey as everyone’s favourite viscount, but also showcased many Indian cultural elements, from the jewelry to the making of the famous Indian chai. Now, I won’t give too much away in case you still haven’t watched the newest season. However, I do want to highlight one key ritual from this season that might just make its way into your beauty routine in the near future.

That’s right: I’m talking about the scene in episode six when the two female main characters, played by South Indian actresses Simone Ashley and Charithra Chandran, apply a turmeric paste to Chandran’s skin. Now, if you’re not Indian, you may find this confusing, but what you might not know is that this tradition is quite customary during wedding times in India.

Known as the Haldi Ceremony (as Haldi means “tumeric” in Hindi), Indian Hindu brides and grooms apply tumeric to their bodies before getting married to bless their union. This ceremony isn’t only done for religious reasons, however; turmeric is also known to have many beautifying properties. In fact, turmeric masks are commonly applied for many occasions in India.

The use of tumeric in beauty rituals dates all the way back to 4000 years ago. Turmeric contains powerful antioxidants that can fight wrinkles, heal acne and hyperpigmentation, and give skin a beautiful glow. Many skincare brands have tried to recreate this turmeric mask, but the truth is that nothing can beat the original. But don’t take my word for it. Try this recipe, which has been used by almost every Indian woman at least once in her life, and see for yourself!

DIY Turmeric Mask

Ingredients:

1 tsp of fresh turmeric powder (but store-bought turmeric powder is also acceptable)
1-2 tbsp of yogurt
1-2 tbsp of chickpea flour
Optional: a couple of drops of manuka honey

Mix the ingredients together and leave this mask on for 20–30 minutes. Then, wash with lukewarm water.

Pro tip: Turmeric can leave a stubborn yellow stain on your skin if it is left on for too long. Apply a cleanser or use micellar water after washing the mask away to ensure that a yellow hue is not left behind.

A lot of the ingredients can also be substituted, and their ratios can be altered to change the mask’s consistency according to personal preference. Try swapping out milk for the yogurt or rice flour for the chickpea flour to find the recipe you prefer!

Now that you understand the significance of the Haldi ceremony, try the turmeric mask recipe above to enjoy the beautiful glow that you see among the South Asian ladies of Bridgerton!

Saina Varghese

U Ottawa '24

Hi! I'm a student at the University of Ottawa pursuing an Honours in Health Sciences. Writing and reading has always been a hobby of mine so you will see a bunch of articles written about book recommendations, health/mental health, entertainment, skincare, and fun things to do around Ottawa! You might also catch me binge watching Friends/Modern Family;). Happy reading!