This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Dear 16 year old me,
You have no idea what you’re doing. I’m sorry to say we have yet to figure it out. 

Dear 16 year old me,
Throw out that giant grey sweater. I know it’s comfortable but mom’s right, you look awful in it.

Dear 16 year old me,
Don’t tell your peers your secrets. Unless you’re able to live with every one else knowing them, keep it to yourself. This stays true even after high school. 

Dear 16 year old me,
Thank you for not getting into makeup. It’s nice to save it for the days you want to really dress up.
Thank you for not submitting to peer pressure. 
Thank you for being kind even when you didn’t want to be. 
Thank you for being assertive when you needed to be, even when it resulted in being called a bitch.

Dear 16 year old me,
Future you hates the decision you’ve made. You’re having fun now, but it ends really poorly. I’m so sorry.

Dear 16 year old me,
Don’t go to prom.
Don’t take grade 12 biology.
Don’t cut your hair that short. Seriously, they’re all terrible decisions.

Dear 16 year old me,
If someone is talking shit about someone else in front you, be very aware they’re doing the same to you when you’re not around.

Dear 16 year old me,
I know you want to quit your job, but don’t. It becomes super handy later on.
Going to bed early is not something you’ll regret in the morning.
Leave the party while you’re still having fun.
Drive slowly.
Don’t sleep with your phone next to you. 

Dear 16 year old me,
Watch the movie “Ghosts of Girlfriends Past” so you hear the quote “The power in all relationship lies with whoever cares less”. It becomes important to you. Though you’re pretending, it gives you false hope that you’re better off.

Dear 16 year old me,
I’m sorry, but you do know better. Don’t do it. It ends poorly. I’m so sorry.

Dear 16 year old me,
You’re going to have to lie to let someone else move on. It’s dumb, but somehow it works. So much so, you even fool yourself for a while.

Dear 16 year old me,
Watching your mom cry will always be the most painful experience; especially when you’re the reason she’s crying. Don’t make her cry.
Appreciate your mom. Seriously you are so fucking lucky to have her. I’m sorry to say you’ll know especially how much soon.

Dear 16 year old me,
Be the better person. Taking the high road really blows chunks, but it’s worth it.

Dear 16 year old me,
Fake it till you make it.

Dear 16 year old me,
Rejection is a hard pill to swallow. We’re still choking it down.

Dear 16 year old me,
I’m sorry you feel like you don’t have anyone to talk to.

Dear 16 year old me,
If they’re not texting you back, it means they don’t want to talk to you. Stop starting the conversation again and just move on already. Clearly, they have. Now it’s your turn.

Dear 16 year old me,
You’re going to be fine. Apparently everyone else is just as lost as we are.

Dear 16 year old me,
We’re trying our best. We often fall short, but we’re trying our best.

Dear 16 year old me,

Source

Daughter, sister, student, friend. I have a fond love for good board games, napping and tea. I consider myself to be a professional apple cutter.