This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Do you ever see someone walking by and your jaw just drops at their outfit? You think to yourself “That outfit is crazy, but it looks so good!” They are strutting around confidently with fuchsia lips, box braids or creepers and they don’t care who knows it. Then you think to yourself “I could never pull that off”. Well I’m here to tell you that you can! Let’s break down what it takes to pull off a daring fashion trend.

1. Make sure it’s a trend you like.
Maybe you saw Rihanna wearing a white t-shirt with pasties underneath and pants that were once a living breathing crocodile in a past life. Just because she is carrying on in this get-up doesn’t mean you should too. When you’re picking a daring trend, make sure it’s one you actually like and can commit to wearing. While this might be scary, if you don’t like something, the chances wearing it are slim to say the least. Pick something you’ve always wanted to try and go for it.

2. Start off small, don’t lose yourself in the look.
You’ve picked your trend, now what? Start with smaller pieces. If you walk into the pool instead of jumping in, it might make the transition a little easier. I’m all for buying the head-to-toe gold sequined jumpsuit, however a glitter gold clutch is also a nice touch. Keep the trend subtle if you don’t want to go all out by wearing the pattern in your shoes or a scarf. If you identify more with the head-first approach, make sure you go in for the kill. Wear the dress with fringes or the patterned midi skirt. Nothing says commitment issues more than a half done outfit.

3. Nothing is permanent.
The beauty of clothes is in their transitory nature. They’re just clothes meaning that you can always change or style them differently. If you debut your new fur vest and it dawns on you that it may have looked better in the store you can always just take it off. If your tangerine lipstick is causing you grief it can always be wiped away in favour of a more muted lip.

4. Wear your trend with confidence
You’re finally wearing it. You saw it in the magazine, worked up enough courage to buy it in store and are about to grace the general public with your daring piece. You prepared for the stares, the questions, the ever present flash of Snapchat’s camera and you step out. *cue the crescendo* Wear whatever you have with poise and own it. Find confidence in the fact that you’ve stepped outside of your comfort zone and you look fabulous. You are now the person that people’s jaws are dropping for, as they silently ask themselves: “Could I wear that?”

With every attempt at pulling off a trend there are always hits and misses. Don’t be discouraged if your first, second or even third try wasn’t successful. There will always be another accessory, another pair of pants, another dress that catches your eye. The act of stepping outside of your comfort zone is not easy by any means. With appearances it’s especially daunting, this is how you present yourself to other people and to the world. Immediately questions arise concerning their opinions and perceptions. While I will not completely dismiss that other people’s perceptions do not carry any weight they are not the most important component of this equation-you are. Fashion has never and will never be stagnant, and neither will your own personal style so bring on the patterned pants, and the velvet overalls, the dark purple lipstick and the monochromatic outfits and wear them with pride because you came, you bought, and you conquered.  Good luck collegiettes.

Sources: 1

My name is Bunmi Adesanya. I am a third year health science student at the University of Ottawa who considers cookie dough a food group, and believes Beyonce is my spirit animal.