The Cyber Foodie: A Guide to Ordering Food Online

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

While some people might hate technology on the basis that it has negatively changed the way we do certain things, I would like to argue the contrary, due to a recent discovery that has revolutionized life and aided in the advancement of mankind. A discovery that has made staying in and eating your favourite foods while avoiding awkward social interactions a more frequent occurrence. I’m talking about the trend in websites and apps that provide an extensive menu of restaurants in your area, allowing you to browse hundreds of menus, order online, and have it delivered (okay so it’s not all that revolutionary, but it’s pretty cool). Here are a few you should know about, especially if you live in the Ottawa Region:

Just Eat

Not exactly sure what to order? Well Just Eat has all the menus right here at your fingertips, organized into different cuisine types like Greek, Italian, African, Mexican, etc. There are so many options to choose from that it’s amazing and overwhelming at the same time. From personal experience this site is my favorite. Maybe it was the barbeque pork pita I ordered, or the cute delivery guy that delivered said pita, but the entire experience was great and delicious. A tip: Make sure when you order that you fill out your order completely otherwise you might experience a delay in delivery.

Scratch Kitchen

While this is not an app, this a website worth knowing about. Scratch Kitchen is a family run business in Ottawa, devoted to creating healthy, home cooked meals on demand and all from scratch. So if you are ever in need of a good home cooked meal and lack the skills or are just too far away from home, Scratch Kitchen is for you. They offer meal packages and affordable meals – even on a student budget- like a squash, white bean and kale soup for only $5.00 or a chicken and bacon pasta in a smokey tomato sauce for just $7.00.

Menu Ottawa

This website works in a similar fashion to Just Eat, however unlike Just Eat where the menu option changes based on your location, all the menus on Menu Ottawa are exclusive to the Ottawa region. For bank account challenged collegiettes, this website also features coupons and discounts from different restaurants, so you can save a few bucks while treating yo’ self.

Munch Wagon

Let’s say you’re seriously craving food from one of your favorite spots in town but they don’t deliver, what do you do? Panic attacks and denial are no longer options, because now there is Munch Wagon. Munch wagon is a food delivery service in Ottawa that delivers food from your favourite places- even the ones that don’t deliver, like The Works or Shawarma King and many more. So you can now get your own “juicy Lucy” burger from The Works delivered right to your doorstep.

So Ottawa, if you are ever in need of a good indulgent meal or feel the need to save yourself from your limited cooking skills, you can now try one of these awesome websites!

Picture Sources

1, 2, 3, 4

Hi, I'm Deborah. I'm currently a third year Communications and Political science student at the University of Ottawa. I'd describe my hobbies as those of a middle aged housewife, I love to cook, read, crochet, marathon Netflix and pin all the diy crafts i'll most likely never make.