This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

A warm cup of coffee always manages to relax me when I’m notebook-out, highlighter caps plucked, and have my laptop sprawled on a table. Regardless if you’re in a coffee shop or at home at your desk, hot coffee kissing your lips somehow makes you feel like you have your life together (to some degree) for that moment. I mean – sure, it does wake you up and energize you, but there’s something about it that can adopt a feeling of organization and empowerment. I probably know what you’re thinking: “Okay… coffee? It’s not that deep, fam.” You’re probably right, but what if I told you that for some people coffee isn’t just a taste? There’s something nostalgic about having an Autumn-themed coffee flavour that can’t help but make you excited for the oncoming school year.

The comfort of coffee stretches beyond what our imaginations can muster up. To sum that up, coffee has become less of a drink and more of a lifestyle with a vast array of people becoming part of this beverage-oriented community. Due to this, perhaps a cup of coffee is a little deeper than you’d think it would be (and I’m not just talking about the depth of the trenta sized cups at Starbucks). In this community, coffee drinkers are welcomed with open arms and allow for anyone to feel like they belong. I also tend to associate coffee with productivity. By having a coffee beside your notebook, it’s almost like you have to finish those lecture notes or organize your schedule a little bit better.

When the days start getting a bit chillier and you have that refreshing breeze making your coat ripple behind you, the most comforting thing is having the warmth of a radiating coffee in your palm. In fact, studies have shown that the physical warmth of a warm beverage can increase the feeling of intrapersonal and positive energy. I’m telling you, this drink really does have it all. The diversity of the beverage also helps. Although autumn is the most exciting season to drink coffee, winter musters up a need for late night exam-studying, morning Netflix sessions, and perhaps even a well-deserved Tinder date or two. The iced coffee portion of summer months are also a nice break from the hot liquids that might make us sweat a little more than we want to in July.

Whether you’re using coffee for the energy, organization, empowerment (let’s be real – walking down the street with a Starbucks cup feels great), or positive vibes, you’re definitely using it for the right reason, whichever way you choose. Coffee is an amazing social and interpersonal experience, even though you might be running to the washroom a bit more than preferred.

Feel the same way about coffee? Tag Her Campus uOttawa in your artsiest Instagram pictures! @HCuOttawa

Sources: 1, 2

Jesse Lesniowski, a 22 year-old student at uOttawa in the Environmental Science program. Loves writing, gardening, coffee, wine and making new memories.