Christmas Traditions Around the World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

The holiday season is a time filled with family and friends and age-old traditions. Christmas is celebrated throughout the world in many different ways! Some cultures reflect more on the religious aspects, while others take the time to share food with all. Here is a look at some of the traditions around the world, and the origins of some of our own North American customs!

North America

Santa Claus

Santa Claus finds his roots in a 4th century Bishop, Saint Nicolas, from modern day Turkey. He was known as a generous man with a special spot for children. Following his death and burial in Myra, Italian soldiers stole his remains and relocated them to Italy, thus increasing the popularity of the saint throughout Europe. Saint Nicolas became the patron saint of Russia, and the patron saint of sailors in Greece, lawyers in France, and children and travellers in Belgium. During the 12 century an official church holiday was created in his honour and the Feast of Saint Nicolas was celebrated on the 6th of December and celebrated with gift giving and charity.

The modern version of Santa Claus emerged from a Dutch tradition where the Dutch spelling of Saint Nicolas, Sint Nikolaas was transformed into Sinterklaas who would reward good children with small treats left in their wooden shoes. Dutch colonists brought the tradition across to North America in the 17th century and the modern American spelling and tradition of Santa Claus emerged.

Kwanzaa

Kwanzaa was created in 1966 by Maulana Karenga as the first specially African-American holiday. It is observed from December 26th-January 1st with a feast and gift giving celebration at the end. Kwanzaa comes from the Swahilli phrase matunda ya kwanza meaning first fruits of the harvest. A kinera, a special candle stand, holds seven candles each representing one of the Kwanzaa principals, which are as follows: Umoja (Unity): To strive for and to maintain unity in the family, community, nation, and race. Kujichagulia (Self-Determination), Ujima (Collective Work and Responsibility), Ujamaa (Cooperative Economics), Nia (Purpose), Kuumba (Creativity), and Imani (Faith).

Asia

China – Saint  Dan Fai Lok

The small minority of Christians in China call Christmas Sheng Dan Jieh, meaning Holy Birth Festival. The Christmas tree is referred to as the Tree of Light and is decorated with lanterns, flowers, and paper chains. While the main celebration in China occurs during the Chinese New Year, Christians will exchange gifts, and the major cities will decorate for the season. You can expect fireworks, jugglers, acrobats and more to entertain on the public holiday of Christmas Day.

Middle East

Palestine

The West Bank city of Bethlehem is particularly important, as it is the town that Jesus was born in. Christians only represent a small minority of the Palestinian population, however many Muslims in the area are also proud of Bethlehem’s history as recognize Jesus as a Messenger of God and a Prophet. The streets and main square of Bethlehem are decorated and a big parade including bagpipes goes through the cities streets on Christmas Eve. The main event in Bethlehem is the Mass of the Nativity occurs in the Church of the Nativity that was build over the location of where Jesus was born. The Church is shared and administered by the Roman Catholic Church, the Greek Orthodox Church, and the Armenian Apostolic Church. Christmas Eve services are filled with the smell of frankincense, and carollers can be found in the courtyard in front of the church. 

Iraq

Christmas in Iraq has been tainted by recent bombings of churches during Christmas services; despite this Christian families still celebrate with traditions of their own. Christmas Eve is spent with family as one of the children reads the nativity story form the bible by candlelight. Following the story a bonfire is light and the family sings a psalm while it burns. If the thorns in the fire burn to ash this means the family will have good fortune for the next year. Christmas Day is spent in a long service that ends with the Bishop blessing individually all the members fo the congregation.

Africa

Senegal – West Africa –

Even though Senegal is 95% Muslim, make no mistake everyone celebrates Christmas. Christians and Muslims routinely share holidays and celebrate by inviting family, friends, and neighbours for feasts of food. You can expect a Christmas feast in Senegal to include grilled fish and chicken, yassa (a sauce made from onions) a few carrots, cabbage, and eggplants, served with rice or couscous made from millet. Local juices are also a speciality, made from ginger, the baobab fruit, or the bisap plant. Christmas Day is a national holiday and children are given small gifts to celebrate in the morning. For years the Senegalese government has decorated Dakar with Christmas lights across thoroughfares. Senegalese Muslims and Christians alike dedicate extra time over the holidays to pay thanks and visit the Mosque or Church to celebrate and pray to God or Allah.

South Africa – South Africa – Geseënde Kersfees

Christmas in South Africa comes in the summer time and is celebrated outdoors in the sun with family and friends. Christmas Day and Boxing Day are both holidays largely due to its long history with the UK. Carols sung by candlelight are popular ways to celebrate Jesus’s birth on Christmas Eve. Christmas Meals are a must, with many actually being barbecued outside in the summer heat. Malva Pudding is a required desert during Christmas, primarily made of apricot jam.

Ethiopia – East Africa – Melkam Yelidet Beaal

In Ethiopia Christmas is celebrated on January 7th and is called Ganna. Ethiopians celebrate Christmas in a very deeply religious way going to early mass at 4am in the ancient churches carved from solid volcano rock or the more modern churches that are designed in three concentric circles. Church goers receive candles on their way in the church, the choir sings from the outer circle, men and women stand separated in the second circle, and the priest serves Holy Communion from the inner circle. During the Christmas season a game similar to hockey, also called Ganna, is played with a curved stick and round wooden ball. 12 days following Ganna the three day celebration of Timkat happens with Ethiopians commemorating the baptism of Christ. Lively music and festivities make the event quite spectacular. Gifts are rarely given, except sometimes for small gifts of clothing.

How to Say Merry Christmas in Some of the Languages of the World

Afrikaner (Afrikaans) ~ “Geseënde Kersfees”

Akan (Ghana) Afishapa

Amharic (Ethiopia) Melkam Yelidet Beaal

Argentine ~ “Felices Pascuas”

Bohemian ~ “Vesele Vanoce”

Brazilian ~ “Boas Festas”

Chinese (Cantonese) ~ “Saint Dan Fai Lok”

Danish ~ “Glædelig Jul”

Dutch ~ “Vrolijk Kerstfeest”

English ~ “Merry Christmas”

Filipino ~ “Maligayang Pasko”

Finnish ~ “Hyvaa Joulua”

French ~ “Joyeux Noël”

German ~ “Froehliche Weihnachten”

Greek ~ “Kala Christouyenna”

Hawaiian ~ “Mele Kalikimaka”

Hebrew ~ “Mo’adim Lesimkha”

Icelandic ~ “Gledileg Jol”

Indonesian ~ “Selamat Hari Natal”

Irish ~ “Nollaig Shona Dhuit”

Italian ~ “Buone Feste Natalizie”

Japanese ~ “Kurisumasu Omedeto”

Korean ~ “Sung Tan Chuk Ha”

Lithuanian ~ “Linksmu Kaledu”

Malay ~ “Selamat Hari Natal”

Maori ~ “Meri Kirihimete”

Norwegian ~ “God Jul”

Romanian ~ “Craciun Fericit”

Peruvian ~ “Felices Fiestas”

Portugese ~ “Boas Festas”

Slovakian ~ “Vesele Vianoce”

Sotho (Lesthoto) Matswalo a Morena a Mabotse

Spanish ~ “Feliz Navidad”

Swazi (Swaziland) Sinifisela Khisimusi Lomuhle

Swahili (Tanzania, Kenya) Kuwa na Krismasi njema

Swedish ~ “God Jul”

Welsh ~ “Nadolig Llawen”

Yoruba (Nigeria) E ku odun, e hu iye’ dun

Zimbabwe Merry Kisimusi

Zulu (South Africa) Sinifisela Ukhisimusi Omuhle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyWn7tNc7wo&feature=related

Photo credits:

koikoikoi.com

whatafy.com

aljazeera.com

02varvara.wordpress.com