Chocolate Bakes to Make This Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Her Campus at U Ottawa acknowledges that we are located on the stolen and unsurrendered land of the Algonquin people.

My favourite part of any holiday or celebration is the food, and Valentine’s Day is no exception. I have a huge sweet tooth, so a celebration that revolves around chocolate? Sign me up! Here are some chocolate bakes you can make this Valentine’s Day to add a little sweetness to your day.

Homemade Chocolate Truffles

Truffles always seem like the most elegant of desserts, and like they must be very difficult to perfect—but they’re actually very simple to make at home! With two main ingredients and a couple of optional ones, you can crank out these delicious chocolate treats in no time. They’re very customizable, as you can add any flavouring you want and coat the truffles with the toppings you love. One thing to remember is to use actual chocolate and not chocolate chips. Real chocolate can easily be found in grocery stores and will make or break your truffles. It’s worth it to pick some up on your next grocery run if you’re planning on making these!

Chocolate Sugar Cookies

A baking recommendation post wouldn’t be complete if I didn’t include a cookie recipe, so here’s one to make. The blend of chocolate and sugar, along with all the fun shapes and decorating you can do, makes this an ideal Valentine’s Day bake. You can even make a gathering of baking or decorating them.  

Super Moist Chocolate Cupcakes

To cover all our major food groups, here’s a cake recipe, too! I find cupcakes to be more manageable to eat than a whole cake, and they’re so much easier to take with you to campus or on your way out the door. They would also make a nice treat to share with friends! These cupcakes barely take any time to make, but they’re as delicious and moist as their name suggests. If you don’t have a lot of time but still want to make something, this recipe is definitely for you.

If you don’t have any grand plans for Valentine’s Day, or if you’re feeling a little down being surrounded by so many reminders of romantic love, you can take the day just to make a sweet treat for yourself to enjoy. Whether you’ll make some of these recipes to enjoy with a significant other, friends, family, or even yourself, I hope you enjoy them! 

Sally Adil

U Ottawa '25

Sally is a third year Biomedical Science student at uOttawa. When she's not studying, she's reading romcoms and watching k-dramas.