Style > Decor

Cheap and simple ways to renovate your room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

If you’re looking for easy ways to redo your room, you’ve come to the right place! Here are some recommendations to change it up a bit without having to put in too much work or money.

Fill wall space

A naked wall doesn’t match anyone’s aesthetic. Play around with art, mirrors, wall fixtures, or even shelves of small plants or objects to give your empty walls some colour and character. Or, consider a photo wall of polaroid pictures. For a minimalist theme, keep it to a single focal point.

Carpets

If you’re sick of your floor but can’t redo it, purchase a small carpet. Fur rugs, bohemian rugs, and bamboo rugs are all great options. Or, if it would better suit your room, you could go with an arial rug. Don’t be afraid to put a carpet on your carpet — if it matches your aesthetic, then go for it. I trust your judgement!

Replace the light and outlet covers

You know the plastic covers on your outlets and light switches? Yeah, change those. If you live in an older home, the plates might be chipped or cracked, and replacing them can make a huge difference. If you still have standard light switches, consider changing them to rocker or dimmer switches.

Upgrade your lighting

Out with the old, in with the new! Changing your lighting can have a huge effect on your environment. Making the change from incandescent lightbulbs to LEDs is not only better for the environment, but it might also better suit your aesthetic! Consider changing your light fixtures, too. A single overhead light might be too plain, so consider a standing lamp for the corner of your room or a small lamp for your bedside table.

Who says renovations have to be expensive and time-consuming? Not me. Use these simple tricks to upgrade your space and see for yourself.

Olivia Onesi

U Ottawa '24

Olivia enjoys binge reading her favourite young adult novels and going for evening runs. She is a fourth year psychology student at the University of Ottawa and can be found scrolling endlessly on TikTok.