Campus Cutie: Davis Whittington-Heeney

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Name: Davis Whittington-Heeney

Pronouns Used: He/Him

Program: Political Science and Public Administration with French Immersion

Year: 2nd

Horoscope Sign: Sagittarius

Favourite Junk Food: Mini-Pretzels

Relationship Status: In love with my best friend :) 

HC: What sort of things are you involved in on campus?
Davis Whittington-Heeney: I am the current VP Outreach for the University of Ottawa New Democrats and I love to participate in AÉÉIPPSSA events like Model Parliament which really do help make the political community at uOttawa so great. I was involved in Quidditch last year but due to some injuries, I don’t play anymore.

HC: What sort of things are you involved in off campus?
DWH: I am an intern at St. Albans Church doing homeless work at a drop-in clinic located on-site for those who are homeless and at risk of homelessness. In addition, I do volunteer work for New Democratic MP’s!

HC: What would you like to do after you finish your undergrad?
DWH: My dream is to become a Member of Parliament, but the number one goal that I want to pursue after I finish my undergrad is to have a family with the love of my life.

HC: So far, what has your favourite class been in university?
DWH: Ivaylo Grouev’s “Introduction to Canadian Politics” in my first semester was a real eye-opener. The prof was good-humoured, the class was well-structured, and I always looked forward to going to class to see what he had to say about any particular subject. Definitely not for everyone, but his teaching style was certainly for me.

HC: Where is your favourite place to go in Ottawa?
DWH: My partner Allie’s house, because no matter what they always make me feel happy and loved. They also feed me and have a comfy bed.

HC: What is your biggest passion?
DWH: The intersection between politics, religion and social justice. It’s an odd mix but it really does all blend together for me.  The soap opera that is the House of Commons also gets me going like nothing else.

HC: If you won the lottery, what would be the first thing you do?
DWH: I would 1) Set aside enough to make sure I could complete school (maybe a masters!) debt-free, and 2) give myself five or so years of financial stability so I could marry my wonderful partner as soon as possible.

HC: If you could give advice to your 10 year old self, what would you say?
DWH: I would tell myself “your crush is actually a lesbian and you’re much better off as friends anyway. Get over it.”

HC: Who is your role model?
DWH: Jesus (Christ)

HC: What is your favourite season?
DWH: Winter is the best, firstly because I start getting geared up for Christmas. I love all of the happiness and tradition, and the resulting crossroads of secular celebration and religious introspection really is a treat as I continue to grow. Even without Christmas, I still love snow (which makes everything so beautiful) and the cold also gives me a valid excuse to stay inside and cuddle.

HC: If you could live in another world, where would you live?
DWH: Since I was a child I was always captivated by the Harry Potter books, so probably one where Hogwarts is real (and where I can go there as an exchange student).

HC: Describe yourself in 5 words!
Davis: Involved, exuberant, emotional, open, and passionate.

HC: Anything else the world of Her Campus should know about you?
DWH: I couldn’t be happier to be part of a university program filled with people working to make this world a better place. The resulting sense of community that even surpasses party lines is something that truly is special.

Thank you for taking the time to chat with Her Campus uOttawa Davis!

Emily first got involved in the University of Ottawa's Her Campus chapter in 2015 and is currently part of the Entertainment team. She is in her final year of Conflict Studies and Human Rights with a minor in Women's Studies, works for Public Safety Canada as a Junior Communications Officer and is the President of Theta Sigma Psi sorority.