This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

When it comes to lipsticks, the first on the quality checklist is the formula. Is it comfortable on my lips? Does it stay on after food? Does it sink into my lip lines or feather? How quickly can I apply it? In my opinion, the absolute best type of lip product that checks all these requirements is liquid lipsticks. Here are some amazing and budget-friendly options, which you can find at the Rideau Centre or Shoppers.  

1. The Sephora Cream Lip Stain 
Priced at $14, the Sephora cream lip stain glides on like a dream and stays on like it isn’t even there. At lot of housebrand makeup is terrible, but the Sephora line is generally pretty good! This particular lip stain comes in 17 shades that are versatile and fit a wide variety of skin tones. My personal favourite is Blackberry Sorbet. It isn’t just affordable, it’s legitimately an excellent lipstick.

2. Nyx Cosmetics Liquid Suede Lipstick 
The Nyx liquid suedes are budget-friendly lipsticks and are around $10. They have a wider spectrum of colours than the Sephora cream stains, and include some fun shades like Sway and Stone Fox. Half of these look weird on my face because of the clashing undertones, which is something to keep in mind and varies from person to person. At the end of the day, however, they really are fun to play with. You could always go to the new Nyx store at Rideau Centre to try them out. The older Nyx soft matte lip creams have an even wider range of colours and are a dollar cheaper. Some people like the formula, but personally I think they dry out my lips like crazy.

3. Essence Liquid Lipstick 
These lipsticks, like most everything in the Essence line, are under $5! They aren’t the most amazing lipsticks you’ll ever use, but they are still good quality. They feel really nice on your lips and look really pretty. However, there isn’t as wide of a colour range and they are more shiny than matte, so they aren’t long-lasting like the Sephora lip stain. These products are usually available at Shoppers. Essence’s Longlasting Lipstick range is also my go-to bullet style lipstick. Super comfortable and easy to apply!

Sources: Cover Photo, 1, 2, 3, 4

SaveSave

Scarf collector and exotic foods connoisseur.  Toronto, uOttawa.